Upgrading Power Service In New Home Build

Getting ready to move on a new build which has 200 amp service vice 400 amp service that we currently have. The current house has 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits in the media room. I asked the builder to add the same amount in the new house,,but we have to wait to get approval from the electrical section, and home builder. So, thinking that a negative decision will come back, do I just need to contact the power company for a service increase, say 100 amps or so, and deal with the power company directly after the build so that I can get the service, then ask an electrician to add the dedicated circuits and wiring to new outlets in the media room? Seems like a lot of work if the builder can't accommodate me. 

Anyone have experience adding service upgrades to their new or older homes, and how did you add the extra circuits to your listening or media room? FYI, northern Virginia, dominion power will be the power service provider. Thanks in advance.

Audioquest4life
audioquest4life

Showing 1 response by gs5556

The utility in all probability will not beef up their wiring. If you ask for a 400-amp service, the utility will ask to see a load letter to justify the request. They will then determine through their experience based on other users with similar electrical loads how much power you will draw and then see if their transformers in the area can accommodate the extra load your house will place on their grid. That will determine whether or not a new transformer is needed and what size overhead or underground current carrying conductors they'll bring in.

Now if you want a 400-amp meter and service panel in your house, you most certainly can install it. The electrician will run those 400-amp hoses of wire down the service mast to your meter but the utility will most likely leave a pair of spaghetti sized wires at the service mast for him to connect. 

Aside from all that, if you have no electric heat, no electric cooking and no well water pumps then 200-amps should be plenty for the average size house with central air. Install the four dedicated lines you are planning -- they are not no way no how going to draw 4 x 20 = 80 amps.