Upgrading my Basis 2500. Vacuum or no Vacuum?

I am not only deciding between a Basis 2800 sig or Debut sig,
but also should I do a Vacuum. What have you heard as
the pros and cons of having the vacuum. My current 2500 is a
Non-signature with no calibrator base, but I do have the Vector 3 arm. I would probably add the calibrator base if
I go for one of these new tables. Im getting there, when I
do I will post my system here. As always, your help is highly
valued and appreciated.
fjn04

Showing 1 response by hevac1

Hello Fjn04
I have the Debut with vacume & Graham 2.2 arm. I use 2 wands 1 for mono 1 for stereo. I find the sound with the vacume on has a much blacker back ground and better definition. What is great is about having the vacume is if you find you like some records better without it just shut it off as I do when I play acetates. The best thing about the vacume is when a record is warped it takes care of it, better than those inner outer ring they now sell. I myself am finding more and more of the records coming out, 180 or 200 gram especially the 1 sided 45's have slight warps or a cup effect to them. This could damage the cartrige, but with the Debut vacume this is never an issue. I have my vacume set at 1.25 and that handles most records regardless of the record thickness. You can set the vacume too high and that can imbed dust from your tt to the record so you should start off as low a setting as possible. You should also brush off the platter with a natural brissel brush. A womans blush makeup brush is best and easy to get from a beauty supply house. Make sure the platter is clean no matter whose TT you are using before you place a record on it. Go with the vacume is my opinion. I also have my pump in another room.