Upgrading Frontend in 2009: Which way to go?

For reference, my system is located here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1174881856&view

One of the upgrades I'm looking to perform in 2009 is my source. I've enjoyed the Cary 303/300 as a standalone player, but it's time to move on (for reasons not relevant to the thread). I'm looking to spend $2k-$4k if I replace my CD player, and probably $1k-$2k if I simply add a DAC.

Sonically, I like the Cary presentation in that I can hear the recording venue, whether it is a studio, auditorium, amphitheater, or whatever. I suppose I'm a big fan of detail but not to the point that it sounds sterile. I won't be able to live with a player that doesn't allow me to hear everything on the disc, like breaths that are sometimes heard when listening to singers or wind players.

I've read some older posts about CD players, but I'm also wondering if newer DACs or newer-model CDPs with newer onboard DACs will be superior to the older models. I've read great things about the Resolution Audio Opus 21, for example, but I'm concerned that it might not be the best value anymore, given that it's 6 years old now.

One other limiting factor: I sold me preamp last year, so if I go the CDP route the new unit must have volume control onboard.

So I'm looking for the best bang for my buck in that price range. If it's a DAC, so be it. If it's a new CD player, that's great, too. Maybe even better, since I wouldn't have to buy another set of cables.

Any thoughts to help me compile a "short list" to audition would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to all!
aggielaw

Showing 1 response by martykl

I own a Cary 303/300 as well as a server which runs through a Benchmark DAC-1 into the same system.

The Cary has lots of adjustability, but the DAC-1 sounds different to me than any of the combos available on the Cary. But ... different will not be better to all ears.
I've found 2 camps of DAC sound - "rounder" and "leaner" (speakers and cartridges, too).

If you prefer the rounder sound of the Cary's onboard DAC to the leaner, more revealing (IMHO) Benchmark, I'm not sure you'll find what you're after. The Cary is really good - of this type. It's plenty revealing, but warmer and will sound more "musical" to some.

OTOH, if you prefer the DAC-1, there's probably a bunch of good choices out there, the DAC-1 certainly among them.

Good Luck

Marty