Upgrading from Martin Logan ESL15a w/Force subs to Wilson Sasha Daw or Alexia 2 w/JL subs

I would like some guidance on switching from ML to the Wilsons mentioned above.  While I do really enjoy the ML I'm looking for something smaller as well a better connection between the highs and lows which both of the Wilsons do better.  There are numerous other things I like about the Wilsons as well.

Currently, I have the McIntosh MC-1.25kwh mono blocks with my ML center powered by a MC-601.  My speaker wire is transparent.  My Processor is a McIntosh MX160 and I am using Roon with a NAS and Lumin Streamer.  I will also be adding a McIntosh pre-amp to improve performance on the 2 channel.  Haven't decided between C2700 or C53 yet.  Adding a Clear Audio Concept turntable but haven't settled in on cartridge.  There is no rush to do anything, so I'm open to opinions.

A couple comments on the Wilson's.....the midrange and tweeter are the same on both but the Alexia 2 has much more adjustability.  While demoing without the subs the Sasha Daw bass hit me but the Alexia 2 went through me.  Sasha has 2 - 8" bass drivers and the Alexia 2 has an 8" and a 10".

I listen to all types of music including Jazz from the 50's - 60's, Acoustic, classical symphonies, rock and progressive/alternative rock.

Thanks in advance for your honest feedback.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xwoots
Almost all systems needs subs unless the mains have active subs.
I would add a watch controller from wilson ($4500). It will take the system to a different level. You could pass higher then too if you are currently coming in under the mains (not as good as passing at 50-60z) imo. The downside is the additional wiring...

JL CR-1 would be a cheaper option. 

https://www.wilsonaudio.com/pdf/manuals/manual-watch-controller.pdf

James633,

Excellent suggestion. My dealer actually recommended that to switch between 2 channel and Home Theater.
I appreciate your suggestion.

Woots
 am thinking of buying the ESL 15a or focal scala evo. Should I audtion the Wilson's? Didnt think about them.
Yes, you should check them out for a variety of reasons but better transition from the mids' to bass and significantly better tonality in my opinion.  Have never heard the Focal's.  Maybe I should be checking them out!!

In my opinion you are spending a lot of extra money pairing a floor standing speaker with subs. I would let your subs do the heavy lifting. You do not need a main speaker that cycles low when you are using subs. If you run your mains full range you are not getting full value from your subs, if you cross over at a higher frequency then you are paying for a portion of the floor standers that you are not using. You can get excellent results pairing subs with bookshelf speakers. I use the Wilson Tune Tots with my subs and in my opinion my system can handle any style of music from the heaviest bass laden EDM and metal to the softest folk and acoustic jazz, though I have to add with one caveat, I rarely listen to anything louder than 110db at the listening position.

I also agree with everyone that is recommending an external crossover unit be it analog or DSP. You have several options. Besides those already mentioned there is miniDSP, DBX makes both analog and DSP units, I believe Bryston has an offering, there is my favorite, the DP series of Audiocore units by XTA and I’m sure there are others that I’m not familiar with.