Upgrading electrical-things to do?

We're upgrading to 200 amp service. As long as the electrician is here are there things that I should have him do to improve my music room?
1) whole house surge protection at the panel.
2) dedicated 10 ga. line to music room
3) upgraded outlet
Holderlin- I agree with Jadem6, but I would consider at least two dedicated, continuous circuits (including the ground wires) from the junction box to the audio room outlets - three if you were running monoblocks. I would also thoroughly inspect the existing ground rod and associated connections. If advantageous, look into the addition of another ground rod (local codes may preclude the separation of the audio circuit grounding to a separate ground rod).
Good luck.
Depending on your budget, consider this: I have friends that have systems with a separate 60 amp circuit for the audio with a separate breaker panel on the wall / in the basement / in the closet as close to the outlet as possible. From the 60 amp circuit box have 3-4 seperate circuit breakers depending on monoblock useage, HT equipment, etc. My friend has 2 monoblocks on 2 circuits, pre-amp on a circuit, and digital equipment on yet another circuit. He also used the AudioQuest brown power wire from this separate service to the outlets. His system seriously woke up from the power upgrade from everything on 1 15A circuit
I agree with the posts above. From a 50 amp breaker at my main breaker box, I had a sub-panel with four 20 amp breakers installed-- just outside my stereo room. I then ran 4 dedicated lines to 4 hubbell duplex outlets. The work was done by a licensed electrician. This dedicated system works great, and significantly lowered noise floor. A downside was that music became too bright, and I had to install good quality custom power cords to my components-- which was another benefit sonically, but more expensive. Good Luck. Craig
Use Hospital grade Hubbel or similar outlets for all things
Audio and Video related.
Hey, J k, you forgot to mention another advantage from you friend's rewiring project...providing a college fund for the electrician's children! Outstanding! That's some SERIOUS power distribution! Has anyone ever run a remote gas/diesel generator to power their audio system?
With the remote panel idea, I've heard people say that the old fuses vs circuits are the best sounding. If you do go to that extreme it might be worth trying.
thanks for all your suggestions. The electrician came today to look over the situation. He was incredulous when I said I wanted an isolated ground on the dedicated 20amp circuit. I told him I would buy hospital-grade receptacles that would take an isolated ground. He said just a dedicated ground at the circuit would be fine with a surge protector for the electronics (in addition to the full house surge protector).

He said he'll run a 12 gauge wire from the circuit breaker to the stereo outlets. This will be long run from about the front to the back of the house.

any other suggestions based on this additional info would be appreciated.

Since you have an "long run" then a larger gauge than #12 wire is needed to realize the beneifts of reduced surge impedance. Your electrician won't comprehend this, but absolutely insist that at least #10 gauge be installed, or even #8 for a long run such as that.
My run is not that long and 12 ga. was not good enough in spite of my amp not been that big, go with heavier gauge.
One point many times overlooked is the main entrance to your house/apartment electrical system. Depending on type of wheather and age of the wiring system, you might have less than ideal contact there, so since the electrician will be working at your home, ask him to clean all connections that lead to your new panel, breakers, etc....
You might get surprised on having more light out of your bulbs and therefore better current flow to your beloved target area which is your sound system!!!!!!!
Hope the investment satisfies you when done.
Contact your local building department before installing or performing any major changes to your Electrical Service. Also, contact the Licensing Board for the Electrician and verify that the number matches the person doing the work. When dealing with Contractors…CYA