Upgrading a CD/SACD player with integral DAC

I’ve described my system on site before and it was pointed out the CD/SACD player was the weak link in the system. I’m not in disagreement, and would like to start researching an upgrade that would be commensurate with the rest of the system.

Here is what I have at present:

Marantz SA 8005 CD player with integral DAC
VPI Classic 2 turntable with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge
Luxman L507 uX Mk2 Integrated Amplifier
Magico A3 speakers
Hydra Denali 6000S Power Conditioner

I have only Redbook CD’s, no SACDs but it would be nice to retain that capability. It would also be nice to retain an integral DAC, although at a higher price point maybe you would advise on getting a separate DAC. I’d rather avoid doing that if possible, as that would mean having to add more cables that would detract from the overall budget. But let me know what you think on that score. I have no plans to add any other components, or to stream music, so that doesn’t need to enter the equation. I listen to mostly fifties jazz and Rock ’n Roll and R&B, among other things, if that is at all relevant. I want to buy new, and not Chinese manufactured products.

So what CD players would you recommend looking into that would be similar in quality to the rest of the system. And what if any sonic improvements might I look forward to with your recommended upgrade. I purposely did not mention price point as I don’t know what price point would put the CD player into the performance range of the rest of the system components. You were all were very helpful to me choosing the rest of the system components, especially the amp and speakers. So I’d appreciate, and am looking forward to your recommendations and guidance on this selection. If there’s any more information you need, please let me know. Thanks

Mike

skyscraper
Hello Skyscraper,

The bad news is that Silver Platter's inventory of SACD disks is mostly depleted, I just checked. The good news is that the Acoustic Sounds website has various multi-channel SACDs available. There are disks by Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Dave Brubeck, The Doors, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Miles Davis, Jeff Beck, Jacintha, and various  classical  artists. The Dianna Krall " The Look Of Love " multi-channel SACD is available for $20.00. A few other disks can run from $30.00-$35.00. The Eagles " Hotel California " runs right up to $55.00. As much as I want that disk, that is way too pricey for me. There are plenty of deals to be had from $12.00 to $23.00. I wouldn't buy more than two or three, pretty pricey disks. I am just not sure, with streaming and all, how much longer these disks will still remain available. According to Acoustic Sounds, just about their entire inventory of Joni Mitchell has been switched to download available only. Some Artists are just going that way, but to pay as much for a download as a disk? Just one tiny computer virus can wipe out your entire expensive music file collection, and you will be left with nothing to show for it. What in the he'll are they trying to do to us?
Twoleftears, thanks,

Pettyofficer. I agree with you completely on how vulnerable a downloaded music collection might be, even if backed up. I had a computer crash on me once and lost tons of saved information. Never again. I'll take a look at the Acoustic Sounds website you suggest. Eventually we might have to depend on the used market to obtain the CD's and SACDs we want. 

Mike

Hello Mike,

Congrats on your SA-KI Ruby purchase. I don’t have SA-KI Ruby, but I have 2 units of SA-10 in different locations. The break-in time is very long, but it sounds good out of box and it gets better over time. DSD files sound the best, either playing physical SACD layer or playing downloaded DSD files from its iPod/USB port. I suggest you download demo hires files from various sites, format USB stick as FAT32, then copy the downloaded hires files into it. If you use external SSD, please ensure it consumes less than 1A at 5V, otherwise it will not get recognized.

https://dsd-guide.com/where-can-you-find-dsd-music-downloads#.Xhz3A8gzZaQ

Please try download free DSD demo files from Blue Coast, NativeDSD, and many others.

These are some of my recommended SACDs:

Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin’ (transferred from master tape)
Freddy Cole - Merry Go Round (directly recorded to DSD by TELARC)
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (get the 2012 version which was transferred from master tape, not 2003 version which was made from redbook)

All the best.

Anwar