Upgrades to Sota Cosmos IV

Hi all,

My Sota Cosmos IV is currently back at the factory for a service and some upgrades.  I was wondering whether to do the Pump/Power Supply Series VI upgrades and the Eclipse DC motor upgrades. 

Has anyone upgraded their older Cosmos to current specs and did both of these upgrades make any significant difference to its performance? The only upgrade I was contemplating was the platter to the new magnetic revelation platter.

The costs of the upgrades be better spent on a new cartridge?

Thanks
Alan

jazzao1
I recently upgraded the motor and bearing on my Jewel (keep your old platter).  My old motor was having a hard time keeping speed.  The new ones are amazingly precise.  The maglev bearing is dead quiet. However i do have a few reservations.  I had to clean and oil the bearing twice before things settled in.  2 pieces of advice:  1-Don't let Donna talk you into anything.  She will sell you the world.  2-Christian is a great guy and if you have any issues contact him directly.
Yes I have the Eclipse package. The improvements in sound are indirect and have to do with speed consistency. Older motors you can adjust the speed with a strobe. If you put the strobe disc on top a record with the speed set you will see the speed drift when you put the stylus down and the drift changes across the record thus pitch changes just a little depending on how much resistance the stylus is seeing. I also use a sweep arm which adds a little more friction. With the new motor the speed stays absolutely consistent regardless of pretty much anything. Thus pitch remains constant. Does it sound better. I think so but I can not tell you if the improvement is not psychological. It may seem strange to say but the music feels better. 
I prefer your Alphson as long as the bearings are snug. There should be no play. Any click and the preload will need adjustment. I do think you  would attain more of an increase in sound quality with a new cartridge but as I said that will cost you a lot more. I would do the motor first as it will out live many cartridges. But when you are up to it the best value in an inexpensive Ortofon cartridge is the Quintet Black S. As far as state of the art I can not recommend the Windfeld Ti highly enough. It runs with cartridges 3 times the price and out tracks most of them! It could be the last cartridge you ever buy. Just get it retipped by Ortofon. Your Alphson is perfect for it. You could also use any Clearaudio or Lyra cartridge. 

Elevick,

I didn't have any issues with the motor/vacuum as far as I can tell. I sent it for just a service and the platter upgrade. I am still waiting for a full report from the factory so have a bit of time to decide on any upgrades.

Mike,

Yes the Alphason is my preferred tonearm and it was rebuilt by Audio Origami in the UK earlier in the year. Thanks for your comments on the eclipse package.

Since the eclipse package in now in a new housing does it mean that the original power supply/vacuum unit is now only for the vacuum and now you have another separate box to control the speed?  Does the two buttons on the plinth now become redundant?

Cheers

Alan

Yes Alan, all the old controls are bypassed. You can get the manual on SOTA's web site.
I have a Cosmos MK6, its a fine table. The mag lev bearing is top notch. The combination of it and the Total Eclipse motor/controller results in a noise floor floor that is way down there, and the focus of instruments along with timing is top shelf. I don't know which version of the Cosmos you have, but the IV is supposed to have the same vacuum system as the current one. 

I don't think you can go wrong upgrading your Sota. Cartridges come and go, but the improvements you are making to the Cosmos will outlast what you spend on it versus what you spend on the cartridge.