Upgraded Counterpoint Hybrid SA-220 Power Amps

I have an old Counterpoint SA-220 and have always wondered if the basic, premium and gold upgrades were really really worth it. I can hear differences between the preamps and amps I have owned and auditioned but not $2K to $3K worth of sonic differences unless you really want that extra last bit of true sonics (yeah I know that I was being very general with that last comment). I am looking for anyone who has an upgraded Counterpoint power amp now or has had one in the past. Are the upgraded amps worth it? Have you compared the basic to the premium and the gold upgrades?

Thanks and Happy Listening.
bigkidz

Showing 2 responses by barrysandy

I have an upgraded SA-20 to NP 220. Been using it for 4-5 years now. Very nice amp. coupling caps are worth playing with for tuning the sound - V-caps are great.
I have both an SA 20 and an NP 220 gold version - sort of. The SA 20 is nice sounding but not exactly reference yet I doubt I'll ever sell it. I really like it.

The NP220 (hi-output)has all the works except the wiring & the Vishays found in the Platinum version now offered. It also has 120,000 uF Black Gate main supply and V-Caps for coupling and uses Jan 6188 6SL7s. It sounded very nice even before the BGs were added so I definately think the upgrade is worth it. I'd get a new tranny if I were upgrading as these have been known to die (mine did)and I'd do the premium at least.

Rolling tubes in this or changing the coupling caps significantly changes the sound so if you're not quite getting what you want you mat try experimenting.

Since Michael's selling new Aria amps I don't think he's doing many upgrades. For the cost of the Platinum upgrade you can buy an Aria which I'm sure is a similar circuit design.