Upgrade to AMR DP-777 SE or look elsewhere

My AMR DP-777 is broken, and I have the opportunity to fix it with an upgrade to DP-777 SE.  The cost would be about $1400 (upgrade+usb->spdiff converter+coax cable).

However, DP-777 SE version is old: 2015. It might be a better idea trashing the AMR, and  spend $2000-$3500 and get something modern, like Shitt  Yggdrasil,  some used DS Direcstream Jr+BridgeII, Metrum Onyx, etc, 

What's your opinion?. Go the cheapest option (upgrade the AMR DP-777 to SE  version and add a decent usb->spdif converter), or burning $2k-$3.5k to get a modern DAC?. 

DAC's usage: 50% vocal jazz, 15% pop, 15% rock,  10% electronic, 10% all the rest. DSD is irrelevant for me, my library is 80% redbook and some high-res files 24/96, 24/192. The source is a laptop with files in a NAS, amp goes with valves, and I want nothing sounding digital or fatiguing after many hours of music in the background. 

;-)

cortes

Showing 1 response by david_ten

Before sending your AMR in, I'd try to get some loaners in home to get a 'feel' for their performance. I realize it isn't easy, but it can be done. Some DAC manufacturers have return policies. Some dealers can be persuaded if you are a serious buyer. 

Once you hear what other DACs sound like within your system, I believe the decision to upgrade or not will fall into place and be the right one.

All the best.