Upgrade to AMR DP-777 SE or look elsewhere

My AMR DP-777 is broken, and I have the opportunity to fix it with an upgrade to DP-777 SE.  The cost would be about $1400 (upgrade+usb->spdiff converter+coax cable).

However, DP-777 SE version is old: 2015. It might be a better idea trashing the AMR, and  spend $2000-$3500 and get something modern, like Shitt  Yggdrasil,  some used DS Direcstream Jr+BridgeII, Metrum Onyx, etc, 

What's your opinion?. Go the cheapest option (upgrade the AMR DP-777 to SE  version and add a decent usb->spdif converter), or burning $2k-$3.5k to get a modern DAC?. 

DAC's usage: 50% vocal jazz, 15% pop, 15% rock,  10% electronic, 10% all the rest. DSD is irrelevant for me, my library is 80% redbook and some high-res files 24/96, 24/192. The source is a laptop with files in a NAS, amp goes with valves, and I want nothing sounding digital or fatiguing after many hours of music in the background. 

;-)

cortes

Showing 3 responses by cortes

@fsonicsmith ,

the usb module of the DP-777 SE is seriously outdated. Now, we can buy a usb gen 5 -> coax converter relatively cheap, as the schit Eitr, or x-matrix spdif-2 more expensive with more features.  The BNC  input of the DP-777  is  pretty good, so the best is probably to buy a converter.

The issue with the DP-777 SE is that is not very popular, and no possible to find reliable comparisons with more modern DACS. 

@in_shore ,

I'd love to listen to these DACs in my system, however that's not possible for me, as to  most of the people in this hobby. 

However, just based in my readings,  no real auditioning,  I find difficult to believe that Yggy is better than PS Directstream, the latter is top-notch technology, costing much more. Now, one has a full forum in love with Schit products (warning for me), and another forum reporting real measures of the Yggy showing quite a poor performance of this DAC. 

BTW did you listen to the PS Direcstream with the  Red Cloud frimware?. 

The Pavane, at least the new version, looks as well  really good, although expensive without top-notch usb implementation. 

I don't like that all in this hobby is so subjective. 

@in_shore 

thanks for your amazing  comments, sharing a lot of valuable first hand experience. 

Yes, the second hand value of Directstream is very low, but  official prices are always ridiculous in this business and I thought it was something normal. 

@dlcockrum ,

after reading @in_shore comments I took a look at the Denafrips page. Needless to say, the Terminator looks terrific:  isolation, thick metal, very nice modular board, linear power supply, full of pictures showing what's inside.  All the basic checks passed.  It  does not look like the typical garage audiophile product.   

However,.... sorry, I don't trust any Chinese thing without western support and warranty.  The info they provide about themselves in the site is vaporware, not address or names to send the police if the thing burns the house.