Upgrade Time

I hate to post another integrated vs separates discussion but I could use some input. My current system is Olympica Nova II's, Cambridge 851N (streamer/DAC/preamp), Cambridge 651W (amp).

I'm planning on spending <$10K on my next component upgrade which I'm thinking will be a new amp. I'm curious how folks here would allocate that money. My initial thought is to use that money towards a separate amp and just go all in on that. In a year or two I can upgrade the preamp or DAC. I certainly wouldn't be spending more than $10K for this future upgrade. Probably closer to 5-8K but who knows, maybe I'll feel compelled to go big again.

Given how far integrateds have come, however, I'm wondering if I'd actually be better off spending the 10K going that route.

Either way, I'm curious to hear which models you recommend. 
128x128jpearson3131
I’m getting amazing results for $5,500 in a 2nd system with some great, lightly used gear. Components and their used cost: Leben CS-300xs ($2,700) driving Forte III’s ($2,400) and being fed by an older Node2 ($400/new). For the money, or actually any amount of money, this is a really fun and satisfying setup. Don’t feel you have to spend the $10K. The key is finding fantastic component synergy.
Your speakers are 88dB. We had some here only 87dB and they absolutely came alive with the Raven Blackhawk. Played impressively loud too, in my 17x24 room. Unless you have a lot bigger room or listen real loud you will be fine with this amp, which is absolutely magical. Being integrated eliminates the "component synergy" canard entirely. Also eliminates one interconnect, one power cord, one fuse, set of Pods, etc. Add it all up, a Blackhawk with all that will still be well under $10k and sound far better than any separate amp you can find.

Separates only get anywhere by ignoring all this other stuff. The minute you account for everything the so-called performance advantage evaporates.   

Talk to Dave Thompson, he knows his tubes and will set you up with some great ones. Amp goes from great to magic with the right tubes.

If you do want more power, Audio Hungary.
@sbank  Your line of thinking makes sense. Basically you are saying the Cambridge DAC/Pre-amp will significantly drag down even a $10K level amp. 

I wonder if others agree with this? Is the CA 851N streamer so bad that I'd be better off spreading the $10K around to upgrade the whole system? I don't know what I don't know I guess.

@mesch I only use digital today through the streamer. I also have it connected to my TV but that's not a big concern right now. Thinking of adding a turntable later but that's just for fun to try out.

@millercarbon Thanks for the recommendation. I was worried my current 100 wpc amp might struggle a little with driving these. But I suppose pure wattage is not the only solution.
There are many ways to go about this and your preferences should rule the day. With that said....

While every integrated is different, most do not have an active inboard linestage, in other words, they are basically an amp with a volume control.

Consider aquiring an amp and a pre-amp. On the used market, you might even consider a pre-owned McIntosh new/recent reissued version of the C22/MC275 combo. It would match up well with the Olympica Nova's as Sonus Faber worked with that combo when developing the speaker. While not the last word in tube goodness, the McIntosh combo would retain its value and demand when you are ready to sell and move up qualitatively. Your Cambridge DAC/streamer would be fine for now as a source only, especially given the opportunity to not use its volume control, leaving those duties for your C22. This would be a good match with your Olympicas and frankly, your next upgrade could come on the DAC or speaker front as an investment with either of those would probably yield better results in the future as the C22/275 combo can scale up another level or two.

It might come as a shock to MillerCarbon but the gear he owns isn't one size fit all for everyone's application. The Raven's won't drive the Olympica Nova's as effectively as a 275 as the Nova is a solid 4 ohm load.

Disclaimer: I am not a dealer nor do I own any of the aforementioned equipment although I have owned a C22/275 in the past. I have heard a Raven amp but have not owned one. They are fine amplifiers but the 6L6 can run out of gas with some speakers and some volume levels.