Upgrade my Yaqin MC-100b for $2,000 - should I or not?

The scenario:  The Yaqin MC-100b is my first real tube amp.  I'm using it to drive the panels only on a set of Martin Logan SL3.  The woofers are bi-amped on my SS Nakamichi 100WPC old-school amp.

I LOVE THE SOUND TODAY.  I've rolled tubes in the Yaqin and my room sounds wonderful to me.

I listen a couple of evenings each week...so the amp is turned on and off lets say four to five times a week.

If you want all the details on my room/system, here it is:  http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?17931-System-541-(SL3-Logos-Aerius-I)

Please don't give me a bunch of grief about the surround speaker placement...it's not gonna change...and I do have room treatment now.

What I want:  Real feedback about the potential of upgrading my Yaqin to a used Tube Amp.

I'm looking through the ads here and see plenty of options under $2K.  I am not going to spend more...I don't care if there is something at $4k that should be at $20k...I told myself I am ONLY going to spend my credit card rewards...not one dime more as I am pretty dang happy right now.

I feel like the Yaqin is hitting way above it's price tag.  Everyone that listens to my room is blown away.

So...would an Audio Research D-70 be a good option for an upgrade?  What about the Genesis Advanced Technologies M60 Mono's?  PrimaLuna ProLogue 7?  Rogue ST100?  Conrad Johnson LP-66s?

Thank you in advance to anyone that has feedback for me. 

The ML are said to be hard to drive as they have a pretty challenging impedance curve at the top end...but the little Yaqin seems to be doing fine.

-TooSlow
tooslowmonroe

Showing 1 response by mdelrossi1

Hi, 
I had the 100b, it re-introduced me to tube amps. I recapped it and swapped out the volume pot for a black beauty. I really liked it, but I was wondering what the next level would bring.

I since tried Jolida 502a, Cronus Magnum, Pimaluna Dialogue Premium integrated.
With the exception of the Jolida (which is a really good amp) I’ve only kept the Cronus and PL. 
They both are an improvement over the Yaqin, better soundstage width and depth, both respond more to tube rolling ( I can use more varieties of tubes in the PL), better resolution, and the lazy aspect of the remote ;) . 

That being said, The differences were noticeable, but not epiphany level.

If you’re happy with your room and sound enjoy! That’s what it’s all about. 

If if you’re curious, buy used. That way if you’re not happy you can always resell without being out of pocket too much, or in some cases actually making a few bucks.

Looking at your room I’d look at some room  treatments, DIY some an play around, it’s a hobby.

good luck 
mdr