Upgrade Internal DAC of Node or go with Atoll ST120.

Looking at upgrading to a external DAC for my Bluesound Node or picking up a all in one streamer/dac like the Atoll MS120 or ST200 or another brand all together. My price for all in one would be around $1500 and DAC only would be $1000. I stream via Qobuz. Big question would be what option between these two would sound best. 

128x128temmple

Showing 2 responses by sfar

One very important consideration in picking a streamer that often doesn’t get enough attention when discussing performance is the user interface, how easy it is to find the music you want and control it. That’s one of the best arguments for keeping the Bluesound Node and going for an external DAC. The Bluesound software is excellent, easy to understand and easy to use. And you would keep that superior interface even if your next DAC isn’t exactly what you want, either.

There are three output options on the back of the Node --

- A pair of left and right analog outputs that use the internal DAC in the Node and connect to the right and left analog inputs of your amplifier.

- one coax and one optical digital output, either one of which can be connected to the input of an external DAC. Then the analog outputs of the DAC are connected to your amp.

Check out the images of the Node on a site like crutchfield.com