Upgrade Hafler 9500 or Mccormack DNA-1 for Thiels

Hi All,
This is kind of a long shot to ask about, but I am always delighted at the depth of experience of Agon members, so here goes. I already own a nice Hafler 9500 and have coming in the mail a McCormack DNA-1. I am using the Hafler in my secondary system with an ARC SP-14 pre and Thiel 3.5 speakers. The sound is very good, but not nearly as good as my primary system which has Thiel 2.4s, a John Soderberg modified Threshold FET 9 pre and a C-J 2300A amp.
I would like to get the 3.5s sounding even better and am wondering which amp to upgrade. I have read glowing reviews of both John Hellig modified Haflers and Steve McCormack upgraded DNA-1s. The upper tier upgrades of the DNA-1 run about $1800 Vs. about $1000 for the Hafler so that is a factor, but the main issues are long term reliability and sound.
The guru I am hoping reads this would have heard both and would also be able to comment on how each would sound compared to the C-J which is the best amp I have heard with either the 3.5s or 2.4 Thiels.
Yes I know I could sell the 9500 and DNA-1 and buy another C-J but it would be more interesting to go the upgrade route. Looking forward to your input and thanks in advance!
drjay

Showing 1 response by bdgregory

The guru I am hoping reads this would have heard both and would also be able to comment on how each would sound compared to the C-J
I doubt you'll find such a guru; but, here's my 2 cents: I have no experience with the Hafler or DNA - upgraded or stock, but I do have a pair of B&K Mono blocks that I had John upgrade. I fretted over whether to spend the $ for the upgrade or not, and tried many more expensive (but used) amps before doing it. In the end I decided to go, and I still use (and love) those amps.
Recognize though that when you pay for the upgrade it's like buying a new amp, and when you go to sell it you will get only a fraction of what you have into it. I haven't seen any Hafler 9500's with Hillig's upgrades sell, but have seen 500's sell for only a little more than stock versions. OTOH, I've seen upgraded DNA 1's which definitely sell for much more than the stock versions. This would be a consideration for me.

I also see/read a lot more about the DNA-1 in the context of great amps, and have never seen a similar regard for any Haflers.

Finally - if I were you (FWIW) I would be inclined to just a/b the stock 9500 with the stock DNA-1. Which ever one win's the shoot out is the one I would go with. I would also keep a close eye on the classifieds for an upgraded DNA-1 and maybe buy one used and try it. This way if I wasn't completely happy I could flip it for little.no loss $.