Upgrade from Technics 1200 MK2? $1-$1.5k budget

I'm faced with the option of selling the 1200 and buying another table, or spending for KAB upgrades. I'd like to explore a new table in the $1k-$1.5k price range rather than upgrade the 1200. The table must provide a good base upon which to upgrade.

I'd stick with the technics, but the tonearm is way to "fiddly" for me. There is way to much play in the headshell attachment area. The 2 screws on the bottom, and the single pin / bayonette style attachment are just to imperfect (maybe this is an advantage to some?). It seems like the slightest bump on the ortofon headshell, and I have to play with the azimuth. Also, i'm quite tired of dealing with ever so slight tracking issues. Very frustrating...

For completeness sake -- Stock 1200, AT120E/T, Baerwald protractor setup, 1.4-1.8 VTF, anti-skate 1.0-2.0, VTA at 0 (I have the thicker 1/4" technics mat). The setup is dead spot on, yet I still have tracking issues.

The VPI traveler jumps out at me as a good option. Likewise, Rega RP6, Clearaudio Concept (or SE). These are at the top end of my budget. The RP3 is around 1k, but all the reading I've done suggests that it might be a lateral move from the 1200. Pro-ject 5.1 as well.

One imperative feature must be ease of use / setup. I don't want to fiddle with anything. Thoughts?
128x128martinman

Showing 2 responses by bflodave

For half the cost of your upgrade budget, send your 1200 to KAB. Have Kevin rewire the arm and interconnect, mount the arm damper kit, install the outboard power supply/ strobe disabler, bearing thrust pad damper. Upgrade the feet (Isonoes recommended) and cartridge as funds allow.
Your KAB modified table will be competitive with anything near and way more than it's price.
My 1200mk2 is pretty much fully-KAB'd and IMHO, the biggest bang for the buck upgrades were the KAB fluid damper and the KAB arm rewire. I find that filling the damper trough just under half sounded best. My arm was rewired with Cardas wire from the arm to the RCA pins and Kevin also adds internal damping to the armtube. Big sonic improvement over the stock arm.
Kevin routinely goes over the entire unit and will communicate with you during the process. I can't speak highly enough about his services.