Upgrade from Jolida JD-100A

I am using a Jolida JD-100A, and am trying to decide as to whether to have it modified, get another CDP, or go to a transport/DAC. After having recently gone from monoblocks to an integrated amp, I would prefer to maintain the convenience of a single box unit if possible.

What I love about the Jolida: very airy and transparent, non-fatiguing, engaging sound. I'm using NOS Mullard CV4004's, and Michael Wolff carbon cords, and with my SET amp and horns, Diana Krall sounds like she is in the room. On the more complex music (I listen to everything from jazz to heavy rock), it seems to lack low end control. It could have more authority over the separation of the frequencies, as well as better attack. In my non-audiophile speak, I would say that the player could simply 'dig deeper' to grab and round (resolve?) all of the notes.

I've heard a number of players that I loved, among them the Audio Aero Capitole (too expensive for me), and the Prima (wonderful player). The Resolution Audio Opus 21 was also fantastic, but I think that I'm going to have to stay below $1600. I can appreciate the utter perfection of the Audio Note players, and the Wadia's, but they are not airy and 'human' enough for my taste. In other words, I can with an analytical mind give them a five star rating, but they don't seduce me in the same way that the Jolida does, despite the fact that the Jolida lags in performance behind these other players.

Some considerations:
Muse Sig 9
Consonance 2.2
Audio Aero Prima
?? Transport + Bel Canto 2 DAC

Hopefully you fellow music lovers can offer suggestions of players I might consider. I would say finally that my ideal sound is one that most closely approximates the air, the space, and even the imperfections of the recording studio. I guess that's just the drummer in me.

Thank you for your help.
Howard
128x128boa2

Showing 1 response by bradz

I've had my eye on the Prima cdp for quite some time now and would love to compare to a Cary 303/100 cdp. Does anyone know of any dealers that would loan one for demo? Thanks in advance.