Upgrade from Cambridge Audio 840C to lessen glare?

I've read the archive posts, but looking for added input if I may.
Opinion on the sound of the CA 840C seems varied; some saying it's cold or overly-factual, others (like the older TAS review) saying it was musical, especially compared to the newer 851C.

In my system I enjoyed the 840C and its connection flexibility, until I made an amp upgrade. Now I find it harsh in the upper registers, with a glare or hardness that after a while is fatiguing. Especially surprising to me, since I'm playing through Dynaudio speakers that as a brand are known to be mellower at the higher frequencies. (The amp is staying.)

Requesting recommendation on a player up to say $3k-4k or so (new or used) that holds this level of resolution, but brings a smoother upper end?

Also, must have at least one digital input. (Am currently using both of the 840C's digital in's.)
Would also consider a separate DAC, but I know that's another whole playing field..

System:
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 340
Amp: Simaudio W-7
Pre: Parasound JC-2
CD: CA 840C
Wire: Nordost white lightning
Interconnects: Audio Art
brianam

Showing 1 response by pokey77

I'm an 840C owner. I'm not using it now because I have an Oppo 105. I can say that I never found the 840C to have glare though. I use a McIntosh integrated with Shunyata power filtration and Martin Logan speakers. Both players work very nicely in my system but the 105 is the best and it also does an excellent job of video as well.

I auditioned some Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cables a week or two ago and found them to be bright/brittle and to have a sound that lacked cohesion (like my audiophile terms!) This could be part of your problem, I don't know. But I have had an experience kind of like one of the posters above. Again, I never found the 840C to have glare. I always wished it could provide a bit more air at the top though. The Oppo does that for me.