Upgrade from Cambridge Audio 840C to lessen glare?

I've read the archive posts, but looking for added input if I may.
Opinion on the sound of the CA 840C seems varied; some saying it's cold or overly-factual, others (like the older TAS review) saying it was musical, especially compared to the newer 851C.

In my system I enjoyed the 840C and its connection flexibility, until I made an amp upgrade. Now I find it harsh in the upper registers, with a glare or hardness that after a while is fatiguing. Especially surprising to me, since I'm playing through Dynaudio speakers that as a brand are known to be mellower at the higher frequencies. (The amp is staying.)

Requesting recommendation on a player up to say $3k-4k or so (new or used) that holds this level of resolution, but brings a smoother upper end?

Also, must have at least one digital input. (Am currently using both of the 840C's digital in's.)
Would also consider a separate DAC, but I know that's another whole playing field..

System:
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 340
Amp: Simaudio W-7
Pre: Parasound JC-2
CD: CA 840C
Wire: Nordost white lightning
Interconnects: Audio Art
brianam

Showing 1 response by photon46

It is so hard to helpfully reply to question like this. We don't know what kind of music you are listening to, the characteristics of your room, and haven't heard specific examples of the "glare" you refer to. That said, take all I say with a grain of salt.

Realize that just because common wisdom says that any "x+y" pairing of equipment brands is wonderful, that doesn't mean YOUR ears and brain will agree.

It's possible that several factors mentioned by others are collectively contributing to your impression of glare. It may take addressing some combination of interconnect and speaker wire, power conditioning, digital equipment, and room acoustics to make things gel in a pleasing way. You are reaching the level of equipment quality where it can become very tricky to balance increasing revelation of detail with the desired overall tonal balance. All of your components are reputed to be on the "neutrality and insight" side of the audio spectrum and sometimes it can all just become to much of a good thing. There can be more than one path forward at this point. It could be your issues would be solved with one change: a good tubed preamp. It might just take addressing room acoustics. Very hard to give meaningful advice if we can't hear what you are hearing. It's going to take experimenting with demoing replacements for suspected culprits from someone like Audio Advisor who offer returns or buying used equipment you can hopefully resell with little to no loss if it doesn't work out.