Upgrade from ADS L1230

Hello, I am the lucky owner of a pair of ADS L1230.

I like the amplitude of the sound-stage and the tone is very balance with a sweet, soft and well defined mid-high.
What I am missing is definition on the low-end. I feel like the bass is not as punchy as I would like and in general I perceive some sort of sluggishness at the lowest frequencies. 

I would like to upgrade to a pair of speakers that would give me the same sound-stage and pleasant mid-high and at the same time better performance on the low-end. I was thinking about going for a used couple of speakers, having a 1500$ budget.

I am planning to driving the speakers with my actual amplifier which is a Threshold Stasis 3 with factory upgraded balanced inputs - recently fully serviced and restored (only psu caps have been updated, all the other components were within specs.)
My room is 12x18 (ceiling is 10' tall), with hardwood floor mostly covered by rugs.

Any suggestion?

marcomarmo
Keep those speakers that you like and add a sealed subwoofer . You can get a real nice one within your budget !
I totally agree with yogiboy. Are the ADS speakers " stable " with the floor ( spiked in some way ) ? If the cabinets move, even a hair, this would make the bass sound " sluggish ". Enjoy ! MrD.

@mrdecibel thank you for the suggestion, I'll ensure that the speaker are well anchored to the floor

@yogiboy thank you for the suggestion, unluckily I am not a fan of subwoofers. They are often difficult to position and to pair with the other speakers.
You should check out a used pair of Vandersteen 2s. There is a nice pair of 2ce signatures listed here for $1100.00. I think they would be better than those 40 year old speakers that you are using now! Another plus is Vandersteen is still in business!
Those speakers tend to have a very solid/tight bass if placed/positioned properly in the room. Experiment with different distances behind and to the sides. If they are directly on the rug, use longer spikes and anchor them to the floor through the carpet. If they are on the hardwood, use spikes but put something between the spike and the floor that decouples them from the floor. Many here use Herbies products with decent results. You should not need a subwoofer with those speakers unless you want to use them for home theatre and movie sound effects.
My experience with ADS speakers is similar to @kalali.  They are known for really good bass, so something is amiss here.  I wonder if this could be related to the age of the speaker or room problems.
....while I like the idea of Vandersteen 2 or even 3 , the comments about ADS are spot on - we were one of the largest ADS and Vandersteen dealers in Midwest and I am very familiar with your excellent amplifier, so my post probably should have read:

aDS known for pretty tight control bass
not perfect but....

pull crossovers and have them competently checked, while in there change caps
make sure inductors not burnt or loose on boards, check all wiring connections, make sure fill is in place
check to ensure woofers are seated against functioning seals, screws tight.
work room placement on spikes, in our Store ADS bass best out about 2’ Max from wall ( we stocked 2030 and Triamped them... )
Richard So can rebuild any of your drivers/crossovers
there is an ADS FB group also for good advice
the biamp suggestion gets you around the relatively old and designed to a price point inductors in the passive crossover
do that last...

best
Thank you for the very precious suggestions.
In the order I think I'd try to (1) decouple the speakers from the floor, (2) ensure the positioning is correct, (3) verify the state of the crossovers, (4) verify the state of the cones.

I see the ADS 1230 speakers have 5 feet at the bottom. If I mount them on spikes, how many spikes would you suggest to use? I think 3 should be the best number to ensure that they all touch the floor evenly, am I wrong on assuming this?
If you like the ADS sound and I did back in the day but want newer in same vein look to Aerial Acoustics. I still have two pairs of ADS monitors here in storage and my son has my L810 II's I bought new. 
@jackd I hear very good reviews about the Aerial Acoustics but they are a bit over my budget. Maybe I can try to take the most out of my ADS now and save money for a pair of AA later
Three cones two in front , one in back
put some washers under so you can adjust tilt just a bit.
soundanchor might build a custom riser stand like the Vandersteen 1-3, give them a call but they will run some $$$
the three cones can be tippy...so you may want 2 shorter outrigger ant-tipping cones in back corners - these do not touch floor normally

the machined vanderseen aluminum cones cones are reasonably priced, call Jaclyn and see how long the threaded rod is
you will need receiver T-nuts inside the cabinet
my guess is $100 for 6 machined cones, etc to your door...