Upgrade Denon 103 R to Shelter 501 II?

I own a Denon DL 103R on a Spacedeck with Space-arm. I have read much conflicting data on this cartridge. My question to those who have tried this cartridge and also either a Sumiko Blackbird and Shelter 501 II, is: Will either of these be a significant upgrade? (System: EE Mini-max phono-preamp, Jadis DA 88 Signature int amp, Merlin TSM-Mx speakers)
springbok10

Showing 2 responses by patrickamory

I "downgraded" from a Shelter 901 (and a Benz L2, and an Ortofon SPU GTE and SPU GM Classic) to a Denon 103R. I couldn't be happier, and have ordered a few extra 103Rs in case Denon ever stops making them.

Patrick
Peter wrote:

"Wow - makes me wonder if something was wrong with my Denon!"

I doubt it, but was the low-compliance Denon well-matched with your Nottingham arm? I have no idea - I'm not familiar with the specs on your arm. In addition, what phonostage are you using? The Denons benefit from the best.

Artemus wrote:

"If the Denon is really that good, why do't they raise the price to an appropriate level? Do ya think that Denon has no one with ears that can hear its superior quality, or marketers to sell it? I'm skeptical. Yeah there are giant killers out there. Maybe the 103 is one. But giant killers have limits. This one seems limitless according to all the hype. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. I was going to, but it has been oversold to the point where I'm now too skeptical."

You're talking about a cartridge introduced over 40 years ago - and I don't think it was particularly cheap when it came out. The R&D has been amortized to the point where it's nonexistent. Furthermore, unlike almost all other MCs, Denons are made by machine - they have been making them long enough, and in such quantities (hundreds sold last year, I gather from a dealer here in NYC who does not, btw, carry them), that they have developed tooling and reliability that no other current MC-maker has. Almost all competing MCs are made by hand.

Take the number of years they've been making them, the fact that they can make them by machine rather than by hand, and finally that Denon is a big corporation that makes its margin elsewhere in mass-market DVD players and the like, and this adds up to a low price. Beware hype at all costs, I agree, but trying out a Denon is hardly a huge financial risk. And your resale value will be pretty close to what you paid if you live in the US. Count your blessings.

The only problem with the low price is that people constantly underestimate the value of the partnering equipment. The Denon wants a high-mass, heavy-duty arm with high-quality bearings to drive its stiff, short cantilever and comparatively high weight. Such tonearms do not come cheap - you're talking Ikeda, Ortofon, FR, old-style SME (with steel knife-edge bearings) etc. And it's a pretty LOMC - i.e. your phonostage and/or step-ups have to be pretty low-noise and high quality. Just because the cart is $250 (for the 103R) doesn't mean you can afford to spend less on arm/table or phonostage in this instance.