Upgrade Denon 103 R to Shelter 501 II?

I own a Denon DL 103R on a Spacedeck with Space-arm. I have read much conflicting data on this cartridge. My question to those who have tried this cartridge and also either a Sumiko Blackbird and Shelter 501 II, is: Will either of these be a significant upgrade? (System: EE Mini-max phono-preamp, Jadis DA 88 Signature int amp, Merlin TSM-Mx speakers)
springbok10

Showing 1 response by davt

Springbok 10, I have a Nottingham Spacedeck with the Shelter 501 and use the Eastern Electric phono stage and it is a wonderfull combination. I have heard great things about the Denon but not at the 800-1200 level. I did listen to the Sumiko Blackbird and it didn't seem as rich to me, a little thin compared to the Shelter, but I did like it better than my Dynavector and would have been very happy with it until I heard the Shelter. That was with a Rhea phono stage and two identical VPI scouts through the same system. I think that the Shelter/EE is a wonderfull combo. Also, I would highly recommend Vintage tube service for NOS tubes for the EE, boy was that a treat.