upgrade DAC/Amp for Peachtree Decco65?

I'm wanting to sell my Peachtree Decco65 as I've used it for a long time now. The only disadvantage of selling it is that it eliminates the convenience of all-in-one.

I've been looking at DAC's and I'm trying to get a grasp as to what would be comparable or better than the ESS Sabre 9023. I've noticed that there are lots of cheap options for DACs these days. I see the the 9023 is found in this little cheap device.

Can anybody give me some input on how these "DIY" DACs compare to some more expensive names on the market? Would there be any significant disadvantages to buying a cheap DAC with the same chip?

Also, any suggestions on an integrated amplifier that would be an upgrade to the Decco65? My budget will more than likely be whatever I can sell the Decco65 for, so probably around 700-800?

Thanks in advance?
xmakeafistx

Showing 1 response by zd542

You're questions are valid, but difficult to answer. They're too general. Most of what you're asking, you really can only get from experience. If you said something like this: "I have DAC A and I'm looking to improve on (whatever quality). Its a much easier question to answer because there's a clear focus on what you're after.

I do see one thing that I may be able to help with. You talk about different DAC chips. Nothing wrong with that; the chip has an effect on SQ. But the digital portion of a DAC is only half of the equation. I see way too many people ignore the analog portion of the DAC. Even if 2 dacs are very similar on the digital half, they can sound very different depending on how different the analog stage is designed. For example, I like Ayre very much. Ayre digital products have the "Ayre" sound just like their amps and preamps. And that's because the same person designed all the components. Its just something to consider. You should be able to use your Peachtree gear as a reference to whatever new products you audition.