Upgrade ARC Ref 5 to Ref 5 SE, which path?

Would it be better to pay $3100 to have the ARC Ref5 upgraded to a Ref5SE by the factory...or sell my unit and buy a new one for top-up of $6500?

When I resell the unit...will a brand new, higher serial number unit perform better assuming all other factors are the same?(Tube Life used 2000 hrs , other parts--will they degrade?)

Come re-sell time..will a new from factory Ref5SE fetch a better price than one upgraded from the Ref5?
daisiu

Showing 1 response by philb7777

Personally I would sell the ARC Ref 5 and then purchase a new Ref 5se. A 'new Ref 5se on the used market, say three years old would probably fetch around $7,000-$7,500. It would likely get more than a re-modded upgraded original Ref 5 converted to Ref 5se.

My opinion is based only on re-sale as I would imagine sonically, they would be identical. If you can purchase a new in box Ref 5se for $6,500 (including selling your unit) then financially it would be almost the same as spending $3100 for an upgrade. So things being financially even on the front end, I would go for the new Ref 5se.