Updating a 1991 Sony ES receiver

Hello all,

My first post to this group. I had dreams of being an audiophile when I was in college a quarter century ago, but since then, life has gotten in the way. Anyway, in 1991, I purchased a Sony GX67ES receiver, that has "ProLogic" Dolby, along with a pair of Energy 5.1e tower speakers, and a Paradigm center channel speaker (no rear speakers). Lately, the receiver has been acting up by suddenly shutting off after being used for an hour or so (a "P" light comes on, and the only way to reset the receiver is to power it off, then back on). I have a feeling it's time for a new receiver. Since I obviously haven't been in the market for a receiver for a while, I was wondering what would be a good replacement in the $400-$600 range? We listen to a range of CD's (jazz, rock, classical), and watch DVD's, and will be upgrading to BluRay probably in another year. I thought that DVD's with the ProLogic Dolby sounded fine, which probably means my audiophile standards have slipped over the years. :) It also would be nice if the new receiver had a phono input, but it seems I'm only seeing these on the more expensive receivers. Thanks in advance.
bayoubob

Showing 1 response by elevick

Personally, I like Denon or Newer Sony ES over Onkyo. Dolby pro logic II is a much improved feature over old DPL. Keep in you budget a new center channel. If you can match your center to the R&L, it will make a world of difference.