Updating a 1991 Sony ES receiver

Hello all,

My first post to this group. I had dreams of being an audiophile when I was in college a quarter century ago, but since then, life has gotten in the way. Anyway, in 1991, I purchased a Sony GX67ES receiver, that has "ProLogic" Dolby, along with a pair of Energy 5.1e tower speakers, and a Paradigm center channel speaker (no rear speakers). Lately, the receiver has been acting up by suddenly shutting off after being used for an hour or so (a "P" light comes on, and the only way to reset the receiver is to power it off, then back on). I have a feeling it's time for a new receiver. Since I obviously haven't been in the market for a receiver for a while, I was wondering what would be a good replacement in the $400-$600 range? We listen to a range of CD's (jazz, rock, classical), and watch DVD's, and will be upgrading to BluRay probably in another year. I thought that DVD's with the ProLogic Dolby sounded fine, which probably means my audiophile standards have slipped over the years. :) It also would be nice if the new receiver had a phono input, but it seems I'm only seeing these on the more expensive receivers. Thanks in advance.
bayoubob

Showing 1 response by bayoubob

Elizabeth - Yes, I've been wondering about dust. Maybe I'll invest in a can of compressed air first! Not as much fun as a new receiver, though.

Others - I know Consumer Reports is sneered upon by most audiophiles, but they ranked the Yamaha RX-V663 and the Sony STR-DG820 over the Onkyo TX-SR606. However, it's hard to know exactly how each component scored. Maybe the tuner tested higher/lower than the amp. In my case, I listen more to CD's than FM. But anyway, considering my aging ears, is it safe to shop for features as much as sound? These days, it is hard to test a receiver for sound. My choices are Circuit City, Best Buy, Fry's, online sites, or the one remaining audiophile store in Houston (Audio Concepts) which sells NAD at the lower end. The Yamahas tend to get good reviews overall, but the Onkyos tend to get higher marks for user friendliness. For features, I like the consumer level Sony. How much have audio products improved over the last 17 years? Can a higher end comsumer level receiver equal a 1991 Sony ES? Thanks again for everyone's help!