Upcoming Technics SP-10R (100th Anniversary Model)

Ok GAE owners, now you can sell your turntables, because upcoming Technics 100th Anniversary model will be a new version of the reference SP-10mk3 and they call it SP-10R. Finally!

http://www.technics.com/uk/about/press/releases/20170830-sp-10r/

"Berlin, Germany (30 August 2017) – Technics has today announced the launch of the Reference Class SP-10R, its most premium analogue, direct drive turntable to date, which is anticipated to hit the market in early summer 2018. The news comes as Technics unveils a prototype of the new, cutting-edge turntable with the world’s top-level* S/N (signal-to-noise) ratio and rotational stability for the first time at this year’s IFA."

"Reference Class Turntable Promising Outstanding Results

The SP-10R features a brand new, coreless direct drive motor which, in addition to the two-sided rotor drive system that was used in the SL-1200G, boasts stator coils on both sides of the rotor, for a more powerful and accurate sound."

"The heavy platter features a three-layer structure consisting of brass, aluminum die-cast and deadening rubber, just like the platter of the SL-1200G. By optimising the natural frequency of each layer, external vibrations are thoroughly suppressed resulting in a beautifully clear and crisp audio experience."

"The SP-10R also features a new ultra-low-noise switching power supply, which, compared to a power supply unit using a transformer, is better at suppressing unwanted humming sounds and vibrations. The power supply unit is separate from the main turntable, preventing unwelcome noise from being transmitted to the turntable unit, for a sharper and clearer sound."

FIRST VIDEO with SP-10R:

https://youtu.be/g0AjawoIqmg

https://youtu.be/DKuYVWl8TpY

https://youtu.be/dFXzMs-fb88

https://youtu.be/0U2xkWCiQZw

P.S. Should we expect $15 000 or more ? And the new plinth comin soon?

Power supply looks funny, but the design of the drive is great, i think we should wait for the new version of the EPA-100 soon. Good news the GAE was not the last turntable !!!

128x128chakster
Good SMPS should have an RF filtered IEC inlet to prevent contamination of the mains. Does the SL-1200G not have it? I would be surprised.

Going back to Devialet, all of their amplifiers and powered speakers have RF filtered IEC inlets. 
Invitus005:

not sure about the GAE and it's inlet as I've not taken it apart yet for the PS transplant. I've heard many devices with those filters and they are not terribly effective at blocking all the high frequency noise and the associated harmonics. Look at it on a scope, they can be really nasty. If you like what you're hearing, I'm glad for you. I literally stopped looking at the Aurender W20 when I found out it contained a SMPS, it's a deal breaker for me unless I can rip it out like I did with my Mac Mini.

The only filters that I have found thus far to effectively combat the nastiness of SMPS's are the Blue Circle Outposts which were designed by Gilbert Young specifically for the garbage that SMPS's spew and the iFi AC iPurifier. Even my PS Audio P10/P5 and Monarchy AC Regenerators can't protect against the bad influence of a SMPS in the system.

Concerning your Devialet, you really don't have a way of comparing what it would sound like with a linear. Note that digital amp manufactures will sometimes have a reference line and they almost always use a linear power supply for the amplifier. Acoustic Reality did it with the Thaumaturges, H2O used linear power supplies in his higher end switching amps even Wyred 4 Sounds Nextgen amplifier is/was slated to make use of a linear power supply. Mark Levinson used a linear for the no. 53 switching amplifier, even the new Technics reference switching amplifier uses a huge linear power supply. These manufacturers KNOW they sound superior but most of the time "cost" wins and then comes the marketing lies to sell it all to us, the consumer. I've designed enough power supplies to know better.

I was going to purchase the Halcro DM8 that's on Agon or was just recently for sale as I've always wanted to try that piece. Found out it has a SMPS, no go.
Ok ok, I think I've beaten that poor horse enough :) back to the music.

Buy the limited edition album Greensleeves
feautring the Shoji Yokouchi Trio is beyond outstanding! You will not be sorry, you can thank me later.
audiofun,

I'm sure you have at least something in your home connected to the mains which uses a SMPS, i.e. TV, Blu-ray player, Xbox, cable box, phone charger, computer, etc. Your mains are contaminated as it is, why worry about the turntable's power supply? 

My reference amplifier for the past 20+ years was the Goldmund Mimesis 3. I could not find a better sounding analogue amp for any reasonable price.

It is true that I cannot test my Devialet with a linear supply, but in its current form, it matches my Goldmund and even surpasses it in many ways. It has a more textured sound with better drive and dynamics. 

SMPS technology has come a long way and if the Devialet can better my very best analogue rig, I no longer worry about it. 

Invictus005:

You are correct in that I have an OLED, cable box..etc all connected to the mains. The solution is that they are connected through multiple Monster power strips. When I want to really listen to my system without compromise, I press the main switch on the Monster power strip with my foot and it does a hard disconnect of those devices from the wall and yes it makes a difference. I'm so used to doing it now as a necessary evil of SMPS's I don't really think about it anymore.