Upcoming Technics SP-10R (100th Anniversary Model)

Ok GAE owners, now you can sell your turntables, because upcoming Technics 100th Anniversary model will be a new version of the reference SP-10mk3 and they call it SP-10R. Finally!

http://www.technics.com/uk/about/press/releases/20170830-sp-10r/

"Berlin, Germany (30 August 2017) – Technics has today announced the launch of the Reference Class SP-10R, its most premium analogue, direct drive turntable to date, which is anticipated to hit the market in early summer 2018. The news comes as Technics unveils a prototype of the new, cutting-edge turntable with the world’s top-level* S/N (signal-to-noise) ratio and rotational stability for the first time at this year’s IFA."

"Reference Class Turntable Promising Outstanding Results

The SP-10R features a brand new, coreless direct drive motor which, in addition to the two-sided rotor drive system that was used in the SL-1200G, boasts stator coils on both sides of the rotor, for a more powerful and accurate sound."

"The heavy platter features a three-layer structure consisting of brass, aluminum die-cast and deadening rubber, just like the platter of the SL-1200G. By optimising the natural frequency of each layer, external vibrations are thoroughly suppressed resulting in a beautifully clear and crisp audio experience."

"The SP-10R also features a new ultra-low-noise switching power supply, which, compared to a power supply unit using a transformer, is better at suppressing unwanted humming sounds and vibrations. The power supply unit is separate from the main turntable, preventing unwelcome noise from being transmitted to the turntable unit, for a sharper and clearer sound."

FIRST VIDEO with SP-10R:

https://youtu.be/g0AjawoIqmg

https://youtu.be/DKuYVWl8TpY

https://youtu.be/dFXzMs-fb88

https://youtu.be/0U2xkWCiQZw

P.S. Should we expect $15 000 or more ? And the new plinth comin soon?

Power supply looks funny, but the design of the drive is great, i think we should wait for the new version of the EPA-100 soon. Good news the GAE was not the last turntable !!!

128x128chakster
Based solely on published specifications, design and industry reports, along with official manufacturer announcements, comparatively speaking, the Technics Sp10r appears to perhaps be something slightly closer to a modern Technics Sp10Mk2a successor, than a direct replacement for the Technics Sp10Mk3.  Granted, a myriad of engineering factors come into play, and needless to say, at this point only fond speculation exists as to how playback will ultimately compare.  I believe its safe to say we are all anxious for the upcoming release date. 

Technics SL-1200 GAE/G - (factory specifications) Motor Starting Torque - 3.3kg.-cm (2.8 lb.-in), Platter weight 3.5kg. ~ (7.7 lbs.), Rumble -78db (IEC 98A weighted), Wow and flutter: 0.025% WRMS (JIS C5521), Switching power supply.

Technics Sp10r - (Note: (*) Torque est., based on upgraded GAE/G motor geometry) Motor Starting Torque - 6.6kg.-cm (5.6 lb.-in), (est. Published) Platter weight ~ 7kg. ~ (15.4lbs.), Rumble (TBA), Wow and flutter: 0.015% WRMS (Officially TBA), (Identical SL-1200G/GAE bearing architecture, motor design including coil (dual vs. single) geometry.) Switching power supply.

Technics Sp10Mk2A - (factory specifications) Motor Starting Torque - 6kg.-cm (5.2 lb.-in), Platter weight 2.9kg. ~ (6.4lbs.), Rumble -86dB (IEC 98A weighted), Wow and flutter: 0.02% WRMS (JIS C5521), Linear power supply.

Technics Sp10Mk3 - (factory specifications) Motor Starting Torque - 16kg.-cm (13.8 lb.-in), Platter weight 10kg. ~ (22lbs.), Rumble -92dB DIN B (IEC 98A weighted), Wow and flutter: 0.015% WRMS (JIS C5521), Linear power supply.
So why that disappoint when vintage and today TT comes with its dedidacted tonearm: Rockport, Goldmund, Denon DP100, Kenwood, Yamaha, Sony, SME, VPI, Avid, Rega, Project, Clearaudio, and to many other to name it here. It’s the rule.

In the other side: why think in other tonearm before test the 1000R?. Your disappoint and this makes no sense to me.

Makes sense to you?
No. I already know that Triplanar has better bearings in the arm, is more adjustable, has done more to reduce resonance and so on. I'm disappointed by a lot of turntables that come with their own arm. Why have to pay for it if you're not going to use it?

I've worked with the SL-1200G arm and the EPA-100; the Triplanar is  easily a better arm IMO. The SP10R, like its successors, is going to need a good plinth to really show off its strengths (and that BTW is one reason the new SL1200G works so well- its plinth is properly designed). A plinth for teh SP10R is not an easy thing to come up with- it will have to be engineered. Albert Porter had a good one but he tells me he doesn't think he can get them made anymore. So I was hoping that Technics had solved that issue with the SL1000G. I'll have to see one to know for sure, but if they have one will then have to sort out how to engineer removal of the stock arm and replacement with something that does not mess up the engineering of the 'table (I've already done this for the SL1200G). I don't want to use the auxiliary armboard.
I spoke to the design engineer - or one of them - at this CES (2018) and I suggested that they made the back right corner of the plinth removable so one can utilize 9" tonearms on the turntable when mounted in a plinth.  He seemed somewhat interested in the idea.  As it is now only 12" arms are useable just like with its predecessor the Mk2 and Mk3.

Lets see what they decide to do once this goes into production

Good Listening

Peter
If I understand this correctly I'm surprised by the confusion for both Ralph and Peter who I know to be very knowledgable designers/manufacturers.

Ralph, why not buy a SP10R motor unit, or were you hoping to buy the motor unit and new plinth but without a Technics arm?  I agree buying a SL1000R only to discard the arm seems foolish.  There are other Technics plinth manufacturers in addition to Albert Porter with good reputations.

Peter, the EPA-100 arm is slightly less than 10" (250mm) so why do you consider only 12" arms will be useable?