Upcoming Technics SP-10R (100th Anniversary Model)

Ok GAE owners, now you can sell your turntables, because upcoming Technics 100th Anniversary model will be a new version of the reference SP-10mk3 and they call it SP-10R. Finally!

http://www.technics.com/uk/about/press/releases/20170830-sp-10r/

"Berlin, Germany (30 August 2017) – Technics has today announced the launch of the Reference Class SP-10R, its most premium analogue, direct drive turntable to date, which is anticipated to hit the market in early summer 2018. The news comes as Technics unveils a prototype of the new, cutting-edge turntable with the world’s top-level* S/N (signal-to-noise) ratio and rotational stability for the first time at this year’s IFA."

"Reference Class Turntable Promising Outstanding Results

The SP-10R features a brand new, coreless direct drive motor which, in addition to the two-sided rotor drive system that was used in the SL-1200G, boasts stator coils on both sides of the rotor, for a more powerful and accurate sound."

"The heavy platter features a three-layer structure consisting of brass, aluminum die-cast and deadening rubber, just like the platter of the SL-1200G. By optimising the natural frequency of each layer, external vibrations are thoroughly suppressed resulting in a beautifully clear and crisp audio experience."

"The SP-10R also features a new ultra-low-noise switching power supply, which, compared to a power supply unit using a transformer, is better at suppressing unwanted humming sounds and vibrations. The power supply unit is separate from the main turntable, preventing unwelcome noise from being transmitted to the turntable unit, for a sharper and clearer sound."

FIRST VIDEO with SP-10R:

https://youtu.be/g0AjawoIqmg

https://youtu.be/DKuYVWl8TpY

https://youtu.be/dFXzMs-fb88

https://youtu.be/0U2xkWCiQZw

P.S. Should we expect $15 000 or more ? And the new plinth comin soon?

Power supply looks funny, but the design of the drive is great, i think we should wait for the new version of the EPA-100 soon. Good news the GAE was not the last turntable !!!

128x128chakster

Showing 7 responses by pryso

downunder, one of the blurbs I read when the SL1200GAE was announced mentioned that a couple of the older technicians who worked on the SP-10 Mk 2 and Mk 3 were involved in the new upgraded model.  So yes, it seems likely that older talent could well be contributing to the SP-10R and possibly other new designs.
Albert may step in here to speak for himself, but if not, he began with a SP-10 Mk 2, mounted in an upgraded plinth mainly of his own design.  He found that good enough to replace his reference Walker table and arm.  Then he was able to buy a SP-10 Mk 3 which offered even better performance.  I suspect that was the one utilized for his comparison against master tapes.

In other regards I agree with Lew's post, except that I own a Mk 2 rather than a Mk 3. :^(
Raul, thanks for your reassurance.  I believe you live within Mexico City but I don't know which area and am not familiar with any of them anyway.

This has been a terrible sequence of disasters for Texas, south Florida, Mexico, and several Caribbean countries.

If I understand this correctly I'm surprised by the confusion for both Ralph and Peter who I know to be very knowledgable designers/manufacturers.

Ralph, why not buy a SP10R motor unit, or were you hoping to buy the motor unit and new plinth but without a Technics arm?  I agree buying a SL1000R only to discard the arm seems foolish.  There are other Technics plinth manufacturers in addition to Albert Porter with good reputations.

Peter, the EPA-100 arm is slightly less than 10" (250mm) so why do you consider only 12" arms will be useable?
I had the wonderful experience of hearing the new SL-1000R in a demo by a Technics rep at a local dealer last weekend.  That was part of a very hi-end system with Wilson speakers, D'Agostino electronics, and a top AT cartridge.  There was no A/B with a different arm/table but I was fortune to be very familiar with the first LP played.  That was a mint original pressing (not a goosed-up reissue) of a Gerry Mulligan LP on Columbia.

So no vocal, no symphonic dynamics, no electronic bass extension, but an excellent and believable tonal rendition of four acoustic instruments.  No CD I've heard had a blacker background, the music simply came forth into the listening room.

For this amount of money (announced price at $18K, not the $20K reported earlier) a careful and more extended evaluation would be needed.  I can only say that magic happened with that well-familiar recording.  I was not familiar with the other selections so while they sounded good, I didn't have so much of a reference.
smer and others, a rep from Technics emphasized that the SP-10R was designed as a drop-in for anyone having a SP-10 Mk 2 or Mk3 set up, but wanting advantages of the new motor design.  It bolts into the same position as those.  So it is not just for the DIY'ers who want a new plinth and arm.