Up grade to Dodson 218 ??

Has anyone heard the new Dodson 218 compared to the old 217 mk11D ?? And is Audio Aero and DCS in the same sonic camp as the Dodson ?? I've got the upgrade bug and need a new dac I have an older YBA2 cd player and am planning to use it as a transport only...what does one do??? thanks for your responses ken
kgamcdhotmail

Showing 4 responses by drubin

Actually, I need to correct that. There is an upgrade, just made available. It is mainly software, a trickle-down from the 218 project. Ralph Dodson says it closes the gap between the 217 and the 218 by about 50%. I'm having mine done now and will report back if anyone is interested.
It's on it's way back to me. I think the software change is the biggest deal with this upgrade, but it also includes:

-three signal coupling capacitors in the digital input section

-an isolation pulse transformer added to the coax-1input

-some input impedance resistors were changed, and the input ground was changed to further isolate power line irregularities
My assessment of the latest upgrade is that it is certainly worthwhile at $400. To me, the Dodson sounds more refined, less mechanical, more analog-like. more involving than before.