Unusual SME configuration


I bought a turntable with an old SME tonearm and there is an adjustment device that I have never seen before. Any idea what is the purpose and how to adjust ?




Thanks everyone. I sent an inquiry both at Michell and SME for instructions if they still have them. Nice pic of the device here:




Post removed 

Message from Alfred:


That is in no way an SME part.

Get rid of that ridiculous nonsense my friend. "


Post removed