Unscrupulous ebay buyers

Beware if you sell on ebay. I’m probably stating something most already know, but anyhow, I listed a brand new cartridge there which was bought and shipped on time. Buyer receives It, opens it and installs it. He proceeds to play his records. He then messages me that the cartridge has muddy bass and poor channel separation. I advise him to check all alignment parameters, but he insists cartridge is defective, I highly doubt it. I do not accept returns as stated in the listing. He proceeds to pack it up, taking a photo, and states "on the way!"...I again told him that I do not accept returns for a cartridge that is now used...also said that just because you bought something you have never listened to and you are displeased with its sound or performance, does not give him the right to demand I accept a return. I reported him to ebay, as in my opinion he is pulling a fast one. He could very likely have damaged it while installing it. It was brand new pristine condition upon shipping it. I am standing my ground and will not accept a return. If it shows up at my door, too bad. At this point, I can care less if I receive negative feedback, it would be my first. Worse buyer I’ve encountered in 20 years of selling. Man I hate ebay. Honestly, to me it sounds like buyer remorse, not a defective cartridge, plus I am not the manufacturer....he can pound sand.

128x128audioguy85

@wolfie62 You are correct that ”I don’t like it” is not the same as “not as described.”  But all the buyer has to say is that it isn’t working properly and he will automatically be given a return authorization.  That apparently is what happened here, because the OP says the item is now marked ‘Returned.’  The OP will be getting it back soon, so there’s not much room left for discussion with eBay.  The buyer will get all of his money back.  eBay is not going to use their money to compensate the OP.  eBay doesn’t have the capacity to evaluate if an item isn’t working right.  THEORETICALLY, a brand new sealed cartridge when opened and used could have a defect - right?  I’m not saying it’s likely or happened in this case, but am just pointing out that eBay doesn’t evaluate that level of detail.

For the purpose of looking at this in another direction - if a seller had a cartridge that looked brand new, but was defective, and sold it on eBay - what happens when the buyer tries out the cartridge?  He has no ability to prove that it was bad when he received it.  So in this sense, eBay always finds in favor of the buyer.  

It can even become worse for sellers.  Such as damaging an item in a way that doesn’t show up on the original photographs.  Hopefully the OP gets it back in good shape.

@ashoka  As far as PayPal, they follow the same system of supporting the buyer.  There’s no interest in delving issues concerning defects, although you might better argue your case where there is VERY CLEAR photographic proof supporting your position.

All of these procedures are automated.  Perhaps very expensive items over a certain amount are handled differently.  But I have never sold those types of products on eBay.

@nonoise 

I had that happen to me once, but I didn't realize it happened until after I took the pair of speakers back. Buyer insisted that one of the tweeters was blown, which I know it wasn't. But when I checked, damned if the tweeter wasn't blown.

Nowadays I put a subtle identifying mark on whatever I am selling, just in case.

As others have stated there is no such thing as NO RETURNS. That Seller BS hasnt worked in probably 15 years now.

If I purchase something on EBAY and its defective/not as advertised etc I dont even bother contacting EBAY or Paypal.  I go to my Credit Card company who has authority over EBAY/Paypal.  I get my money credited IMMEDIATELY and dont have to wait 30 days or whatever for Paypal to make a decision.  Always always always pay with a Credit Card and dont mess with the other 2 services if things go south.  You'll save yourself a ton of headaches doing all your transactions this way. Sorry the OP's transaction didnt go well but thats the sandbox you're playing in.  Sell elsewhere if you dont like the rules

@tds3371 

I was shocked down to my boots when I read your post:

"they deal directly with the buyer's credit card and the seller's bank account (which, as a seller, you were required to give them access to). This allows eBay to essentially enact a refund without your consent (they call this "buyer protection.")."

We should never divulge our bank account details to anyone and empower them to operate our account.  This is the basis of all scams.  Anyone at eBay can transfer money out of our account as a criminal act.  If this happens, our banks will not refund us for the loss because we revealed out bank details, which we are specifically told not to do.

DON'T DO IT

@riaa_award_collectors_on_facebook 

The guy opened the cartridge, installed it and played records. Said he did not like the sound of it as its too warm. This is in no way warrants a return or a refund. He rendered my brand new cartridge as now used, and for all I know possibly mishandled or damaged. There has to be some rules against returning something for frivolous reasons.