Universal Players. Marantz 8400 vs.Denon 5900

Neither of these Players are available for me to listen to. The previous Marantz Universal player got poor reviews and the Denon 2900 reportably does not play regular CD's well.

So can anyone help , how would the latest offerings from Marantz (8400) and the Denon(5900) compare?
SCAD sound, DVD-A sound,DVD-Video,CD,and DVD.

I have now a large collection of Hybrid and single layer SCAD's and DVD-A that I would like to start playing.

Thank you in advance.
128x128ozzy

Showing 2 responses by joyelyse

I haven't heard the Marantz, but I can give the Denon a rave. I'm a new convert to SACD. I tried the Sony DVD 999ES and I own the Sony 775 carousel. I can't recommed either one. In both cases, the CD layer sounds better going through my DAC2 than the SACD layer through the unit's internal DAC. I was conviced SACD was totally worthless. However the Denon 5900 changes all that. SACD sounds wonderful, amazing, better than my Bel Canto DAC2. And picture is superb. What a unit!!!! I haven't tried DVD-A yet, becasue I don't have any discs, but I am confident that I will be pleased
I don't know if you care, but the most recent Secrets shootout just came out. The 8400 did not fare well with picture quality. For me, that would be a big issue, but am about 50/50 music/video. The audio section is well regarded.