Uneven speaker wire runs

My equipment sits to the far right side of my home theater setup. I need at least a 21 ft. run to the left speaker and the right would only need about 10 ft. Does it matter if the L & R main speaker runs are different lengths or should I try to keep them the same ?
gfloyd757

Showing 1 response by carl109

Just a point of order, audio signals don't travel at anywhere near the speed of light. Only light in a vacuum travels at 300,000km/sec. Even light travels at less than this depending on anything (eg. gases) it must pass through.
The speed of an electric current is dictated by various things including resistance; lightning through air only travels at around 160,000km/hour, not even close to lightspeed.
Audio signals travel by electrons being "bumped" along through the copper or silver crystal lattice, at nothing like lightspeed.
My view would be that, if you had one 1000 foot speaker cable and one 10 foot, you would notice an obvious timing error, a delay if you like. Now, 20' versus 10' isn't quite the same degree, but the effect will still be there at a much smaller delay. I don't think I could hear such a delay, but some keen-hearing audio buffs might.