Underwood Hifi Cables

So now I’m back to stock cables and need 2 power cables and a pair of xlrs. I talked with Walter at Underwood about my situation. He stored my info and order but I am yet to order. Walters a very cool cat btw. Funny and blunt. Seems like a pretty good deal we worked out just don’t want to buy something that will not be an improvement. Any opinions on the cables from Underwood. I was looking at the mid grade cables that Walter talked highly of. 

thanks
mofojo
@williewonka ,

I might be down for a dyi project. Would certainly be interested about your project! 
Thanks
@mofojo - here are a couple of links

To my cable fabrication details

What other Audiogon members think of them and some of their adaptions on the concept

You can of course use any wire you choose, but the wires mentioned on my web site are some of the very best available.
  • But to make an affordable prototype that performs very well - a good wire to use for both  Live and Neutral conductors is a silver plated Mil-Spec wire from Take Five Audio.

If you have any questions just ask

Regards - Steve

Awesome thanks Steve! I haven’t looked at the links yet but will. If it’s detailed enough I will likely give it a go. Any approx of the total cost for a 3 ft cable nowadays ? 
@mofojo - Cost really depends on what wires you use, but for the sake of this exercise i will use the more affordable option of using Silver Plated Mil-Spec wire
You should notice a significant performance improvement in any component using this cable - better dynamics, clarity, detail and image, with a deeper more textured bass compared to many branded products

If you like the sound of this "evaluation" cable you can achieve significantly better sound just by upgrading the the Live wire to 2 x 14 gauge bare UP-OCC copper wire, each wire inside teflon tubes (as per the web site), but please note this wire makes the cable stiff and as such it cannot be treated like an "extension cable" i.e. the less flexing the better, which is not generally an issue when used for audio systems. Moderate flexing is OK

The best cable performance would be to implement the above upgrade PLUS upgrading the Neutral to a single (or double) UP-OCC stranded copper wire with Teflon insulation from Neotech

I have tried Duelund 12 gauge tinned copper with theri polymer insulation, but the UP-OCC bare wire provides faster dynamics, more clarity/details and better image. DO NOT USE the Duelund wire with cotton insulation because it is NOT rated for MAINS use

NOTES:
You may notice the cables pictured on the web site doe NOT use the black expandable nylon sleeve
  • mainly because I am frequently trying different wires, but you can opt to use it or leave it off
  • leaving it off does not pose any safety issues because the neutral is always at zero volts i.e. connected to ground at the mains panel
I do use spade terminals on ALL wires because
  • it prevents the wires from slipping out of the plugs, especially if you use the solid core wires
  • I have also found it sounds better with spades
  • I also crimp AND solder - again for safety
I have used the HELIX cable on small mini systems, my Bluesound Pulse Mini speaker, TV’s and my Bryston B135 and the improvements can easily be heard on all of them

Hope you try it - Steve
Post removed