Understanding phono stages/What to look for?

Everything from little boxes to full size components. Very few reviews. What should I look for. I have purchased a Black Cube to use with a 30 watt tube integrated. Although I have not been home yet to audition any of it. Why the huge differences in phono stages? I am using a Nottinhgham Interspace w/Rega tonearm OM20 switching soon to a Dynavector 20 low output MC. Will I want to stay with the Lehmann? Lots to learn, Louis
128x128seejungle

Showing 1 response by c123666

After looking at many phono stages (inc Aesthetix and Lamm) I came down to two units: the very good unit from Decware would is about 1550 (MM/MC capable) and is a tubed unit. I would up ordering a Dynavector P-75 as I have heard nothing but good things about it. If the Dynavector proves inadequate for me then I'll spend the extra money for the Decware unit.

I try to avoid tubed units that have a bunch of tubes in them (Aesthetix, BAT) due to the cost of acquiring high quality NOS tubes. The Decware uses a small number of tubes and is built extremely well as all Decware products are.