UHA Reel to Reel/Tape Project opinions

I list this under analog because I feel it is the truest copy of master tape and is pure analog. The question is has anyone out there compared a UHA Phase 4 reel to reel deck with Tape Project tapes to any VPI reference scoutmaster or other reference table playback of records? Is it worth the $10k investment when there are only 20 current titles to choose from at $300 each?
My system details: Magnepan 20.1s, Pass Labs X250.5 amp and Xono phonostage, Audio Research Ref 3 preamp and Ref 8 CD player, Shunyata Hydra 8 and anaconda powercords, Audioquest interconnects.
powerdoctor

Showing 2 responses by buconero117

I don't think it is worth the investment. I have reel to reel playback equipment, Technics and Teac. I do like the sound and I am sure Tape Project media would be even better. I do have some two track, 15 ips broadcast tapes and the cd and vinyl equivlents. Tape does sound better. I have over 2,000 pre-recorded tapes. You can buy a lot of music for the $13,000 needed to get into UHA.

I think the future is blu-ray, wherein many of the old analog masters, some three channel, will be re-released with the highest resolution possible. Better then SACD. You never are going to get that sound from tape second generation source, which what Tape Project is. Sony will release Miles/Blue early next year on blu-ray, three channel. Also, there is a lot of other stuff done originally in three channel masters that will come soon, Sinatra among others.

Invest in a oppo blu ray SE. Leave tape behind. Remeber it is all about the music, not the gear.

Enjoy the music.
Mikelavigne, you are right, tape even the broadcast tapes are an uneven experience. I have some that are good, and some not so. Condition is everything. I have some AFRTS broadcast tapes that run at 3.75, quarter track and they out perform many of the 15 and 7.5 reels I have. The government always knows how to spend money. Don't get me wrong, I do feel vinyl is superior to CD, SACD and tape. I have VPI Aries stuff, with close to 10,000 records.

Yes, I am pushing Blu-Ray as I believe it is a way of getting the best performance from the tape masters, especially masters that were done three channel. Hopefully you have heard the L2 product, which comes together with the SACD and Blu-Ray. I'm impressed. I have Miles/Blue in every media it was produced in, and yes I found the LP still the best. When Blue comes out next year in Blu-Ray another step forward is possible, maybe. I remind you that cutting vinyl always involved many compromises. I am sure you know of the Nat Cole stuff being remastered by Steve Hoffman and being cut to new vinyl and sacd. The Cole project gives a light into the what is possible. Right now I can't decide which title of the Cole release to get, one in LP the other in SACD. I think this is a good way to compare, especially with the Steve Hoffman talent in play.

Enjoy the music.