U.S. Postal Service mail delays

This seems pretty obvious, given the headlines and TV news, but anything shipped during the last few days to or from DC and possibly NJ (because of the illnesses of workers at the Trenton Distribution Center) may be delayed beyond the normal mailing times to these locations. The Washington Post has a map today showing that mail service to and from more than half the zip codes in DC has been suspended. I have been receiving emails from a very disgruntled buyer in Jersey City who still hasn't received the cables I mailed him last Thursday. He wants to know what I intend to do about it. I can only apologize and ask for his patience as mail facilities and Postal Service workers are screened for anthrax! You'd think he would be a little more understanding, esp. since I mailed him the cables before his PayPal payment even cleared into my account. In fact, I mailed the cables about 15 minutes after I received email from PayPal indicating that he had made the payment. I thought I gave him express, speedy, ASAP service, but he is quite upset anyway, since the package hasn't yet arrived (it should only have taken 3 days max, from VA to Jersey City). So if anything is CRUCIAL and MUST be received without delay, please think of using FedEx, UPS, and the like until our mail service is back to normal.
I would like to thank our Postal workers for even continuing to show up for work! At the federal agency where I work, our clerical help, who receives and opens mail for us every day, now has to wear latex gloves and a chintzy mask while performing these duties.
sc53

Showing 1 response by 2001impala

As a letter carrier for the U.S.P.S. I must say I am very pleased to see that the majority of people in wich contributed to this forum are understanding.

In the early 80's an average of 16 packages contianing bombs were sent via airplane undetected. Due to the increase of torrorist threats durring the Regan era,the usps implemented a system to better insure the saftey of airline travel. And it worked. We as the employees of the usps ar tought to look for specific criteria to identify "target mail". As of last year the no. of bombs shipped via usps undetected (inspite of a record 242 billion pieces of mail) was only 2.

However, no one was fully preparred for the events on 9/11 or those that followed. But we at the postal service w/ the help of the postal inspection service are concentrating on getting things back to normal w/ out jepardizing the saftey of our customers. DAmon aka husband of 2001 impala