tying in yamaharxv-665w/adcomgfa555as 2 channel

originaly had the yammi w/ klipsch h/t set up. All worked well but when bumping up the sound things got hot and decided to go back in time w/ 2 channel system. I got an Adcom gfa665 beast 220w and some infinitys for the time being. Trouble is yamaha has locked out and I have no volume control or other functions for that matter.I asked Yammi about 50 times if this was possible and now they say I MIGHT NEED seperate pre-amp w/ controls. Clearly not an audiophile here , but could use some advice on resolving this .
lewdworet

Showing 6 responses by rwwear

Just use the front left and right of the 7.1 outputs. The 665 will be the preamp and you can still use for surround if you wish.
I believe you were doing something wrong still. You have to make sure to connect to the pre outs on the Yamaha and not the multi-channel inputs. It's an easy mistake.
Are you saying you used the multichannel outs not the zone two outs and you had no volume adjustment?
If you are using zone 2 then it makes sense you will need a preamp. But if you use the multichannel outs you should not need a pre. For the latter you would just use the front channels and set the receiver for stereo mode when using the Adcom. Of course using zone 2 is better most of the time if you now have a preamp.
To use the Yamaha as a preamp all you have to do is connect the Adcom to the front left and right outputs of the multi-channel outs. When you don't want to use the Adcom simply turn it off and you can still use the Yamaha surround system normally. It works this way on my girlfriend's 667 and should be the same on the 665. Yamaha has been operating the same way for some time.