Two systems? Why?

I mentioned on another thread that I have two completely different systems, one for HT and one for music. I wonder how many of y'all have taken that approach. Anyone care to comment on your systems and how they differ?

I'll start off.
My HT system: Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2 mains, Reference CC, Reference ADP surrounds, and Servo 15 sub; Parasound 2500u pre/pro; Parasound 2205AT amp; Toshiba SD5700 DVD; Sony CX90ES CD jukebox; Monster cables.

My music system: JM Lab Mezzo Utopia speakers; Belles 350A amp; Rega Jupiter 2000 CD; various cables. No vinyl and no tubes (gasp).

Persons familiar with this gear will see clearly that I am seeking two quite different goals with these systems.

Others take a moment to share?
bishopwill

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

Well, the reason why I have two separate systems is because of more practical reasons. It's not going to look all that good to have a long run of cables going from the living room to the bedroom all of the time, just for the sake of saying that you have integrated an audio system and a home theater system together. I'm not saying that it cannot be done altogether, because believe me, it can be done. It's going to be expensive as hell, but it can be done. I could spend about $3,200.00 in a system expansion (I prefer to call it an "expansion" as opposed to calling it an "upgrade" because in reality, I have not changed any components in the existing audio system, all I would have done in the end was add a S/S Processor, a Multi-Channel Power Amplifier to power the additional speakers that I am going to acquire while I continue using my existing Stereo Power Amplifier to power the existing speakers that I already use when I am listening to music. Get me a center channel to match my existing speaker system in timbre, as well as get a suitable pair of bi-polars or di-polars for the surrounding channels, and then get me a suitable subwoofer to match the rest of the speakers), and then spend upwards to about $10,000.00 and get me a plasma television and mount it high up enough on the wall in order to both, give me a satisfying picture when I am watching a movie without having my head bent backwards for about two hours or so, but can be out of the way when I am listening to music so that it cannot interfere with soundstaging effect of the system (something that can be VERY hard to do). But also, all that would do then is to make my system needlessly complicated, and then the system performance is going to suffer anyway. So, in integrating my audio system then, what do I expect to gain when I am trying to integrate an otherwise good audio system, only to bring its performance level down by integrating it with an OKAY home theater system???

But since I don't have the money to do these things with anyway, it's all a moot point then, right????

So, it is for these very reasons that I prefer to have separate systems as opposed to having an "integrated" audio/home theater system.

When I finally move into a house, that situation may change then, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

So, until a system integration happens otherwise, here's what my systems look like, as well as what rooms they're located in.

Thanks for asking...............

AUDIO SYSTEM (in Living Room):
-----------------
KEF Reference 102 Speaker System with KUBE Equalizer
Adcom GFA-545 MkII Power Amplifier
Adcom GFP-750 Active/Passive Line Stage with Remote Control
Monolithic PS-1 + HC-1 Phono Stage + High Current Power Supply (Coming Soon)
Thorens TD-165 Belt-Drive Turntable/Grado Prestige Gold Cartridge
Pioneer Elite DV-37 Progressive Scan DVD/CD Player (used as a CD Player..... Soon to be replaced by either a Sony DVP-S9000ES or Sony DVP-NS999ES)
JVC XL-M509TN 6+1 CD Player/Changer
Magnum Dynalab FT-101 FM Tuner
Terk AM FM Q Antenna
Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette Deck
MITerminator 2 Interconnects
MITerminator 3 Interconnects
MITerminator 2 Speaker Cables
Monster Cable HTS2500 Power Conditioner

HOME THEATER (in Bedroom):
-------------------
Sennheiser HD-580 Headphones
Harman/Kardon AVR-210 Dolby-Digital Audio/Video Receiver
Sony SLV-R5UC S-VHS Hi-Fi VCR
JVC HR-VP638U VHS Hi-Fi VCR
Toshiba SD-2700 DVD/CD Player (soon to be replaced by the return of the Pioneer Elite DV-37)
Panasonic CT-27SF37 "SuperFlat" Direct-View Television -- 27"
Monster Cable Video 2 Interconnects
Monster Cable Video 3 Interconnects
Monster Cable Component Video Cables (Connects DVD Player directly to the TV)
Monster Cable HTS1000 Power Conditioner

OFFICE SYSTEM (for use at Work):
------------------
Sennheiser HD-580 Headphones (the same ones I use with my home theater system when I am at home)
HeadRoom Total AirHead Headphone Amplifier (9 Volt Version)
Sony D-EJ815 CD Walkman
Straight Wire Short Portable Interconnect Cable
HeadRoom Leather Portable System Bag

Sony Stereo Clock Radio (11 years old)

Sorry, but I forgot to add my office system as well. After all, music listening with me does not stay at home. It continues when I am in my car, and at the office as well.

Next Project???? Maybe put a car audio system either in my 1999 Honda Accord EX (if I don't trade it in), or in my new Audi A4 3.0 later on (when I get one after trading in my 1999 Honda Accord EX). But that's so far down the line, I don't even want to think about that, or count that as a system right now. Let's just go with the three I have listed here right now and leave it at that.

Again.......... thanks for asking..........

--Charles--