Two Subs?

My listening room is 22L x 12W x 8H. I'm currently using a single REL Storm III. I'm toying with the idea of getting a second REL; but how can I determine if my room can actually accommodate two RELs without having to buy the second REL?
rockyboy

Showing 7 responses by bo1972

Rel Q150 was the most sold Rel at our shop at the time it came out. I prefer frontfiring. But in old houses with old floors you can get a lot of ( coloured) fun with them. It depends what you like!!
room correction flattens bass? I guess you have less knowledge about roomcorrection. Wolfy prefers bumpy humpy low's from his slow subwoofer. Maybe there are people happy with less? When it makes you happy, who am I :)
During a show I used audyssey pro. I played Kodo drums. I did this demo with and without roomcorrection. All the people found the drums superior in weight and dynamics with Audyssey Pro than without the roomcorrection. Also the palpable image of the drums where in a different league than without. I see you use a downfiring subwoofer. What would you like to change about the sound you have now?
Maybe the poor systems you use flattens, could be. Audyssey pro uses EQ and Volume. These parts give you a much better dynamics than without. Downfiring subwoofers never will give a precise integration with the fronts. The floor colours often the low freq. Can be nice, but it is not a very natural sound in low freq. Subwoofers which can be used to 140 hz will integrate a lot better with the speakers. From 80hz low freq. become palpable. When we compare downwfiring sub with a frontfiring sub you will hear the difference in integration. With Audyssey Pro and sealed frontfiring we get a stealth integration. Many subowners and also Rel owners said that they never heard this level in subwoofers before. It is all about speed and integration. It is that simple!
A year ago my sub was set till 80 hz. It was based on the time I almost only sold Rel subwoofers. You could not use them to higher freq till about 60-70hz. I got the information of Audyssey people. So I start testing with 100 and also 120 hz. And I was amazed that the overwhole sound became more palpable and also more musically. Later I compared 120 and 140 hz. With 140hz it became even beter. Without Audyssey pro I could not have used it this far so easy. If you would have asked me a few year ago to use subwoofers this high I would have thought you are crazy. It changed my thinking about subwoofers. When you do many tests in audio sometimes your perspective changes. With Audyssey pro I have so much more control with subwoofers. When I would not have it, it would be a different world. It made me love subwoofers for stereo. I never thought I would use it for stereo myself. I am very sceptive in many things in audio. But hearing is believing. Audyssey still have no option to use 2 subwoofers for each front channel. Then I would play with 2 subwoofers as well.
First the professional microphone which is used with Audyssey pro measures a lot more information compared to a standard Audyssey microphone. Second we measure at totally different places and hights compared to the Audyssey way of measuring. This gives a very big difference in how much dynamics and information you can measure. The roomcorrection of Audyssey is only 1/3 of the whole system. By using the parts Audyssey volume and EQ to the max the end results are a lot better. Without it I would have a loss in dynamics. And it would be more the same like other room acoustic systems. By using Audyssey pro with EQ and Audussey Volume the volume of the sub can be set so much lower than without. This gives you more control and more drive as well. We learned to use it differently to get the results we wanted. Using the sub till 140 hz makes the palpable integration so much better. People Always say and think; so you do not use the subwoofer? Ofcourse I use the subwoofer. When I put it have you see the eyes of the people move. Using it till 140 hz is only possible of the timing and fast respons of the subwoofer. Next step will be the very Soon outcomming pure silver Audioquest Wild Dog subwoofer cable.
I can even turn the volume of the sub quite loud without any problem. Calibrated at 75 db, the volume using with my measurment is a lot lower than with the Audyssey way. I use a Purist Audio powercable with 004 Oyaide. When we use a cheaper powercable. The volume will be higher as well. You can influence the control to the sub in many different ways. I know already that the new pure siver Audioquest Wild Dog will give a positive influence on the control of the sub. The Sub-3 from AQ also uses some silver. This made a big improvement also on the freq. from 60-140hz. Control and a better timing give you more space to use the subwoofer to his max. My Olive 06HD with also a Purist Audio powercable and a new Audioquest Wild Blue Yonder xlr gives with 132 db much more weight and drive to my PLW-15. A source with more weight and speed gives you superior control to your sub as well.