Tweaks

Hello, It has been a long time since I've been on the forum but I finally tried something new with one of my old tweaks and it worked out great. I had my Walker Audio Silver Treatment laying around and applied it to my tubes. I have a Quicksilver preamp and a set of Mini Mono power amps. I hit the tubes with the Caig spray then put the silver treatment on, the power tubes first. It was a huge difference, richer and way more detail and I have cheap power tubes at the moment, JJs... I put the treatment on all tubes and my system sounds just amazing for what it is. Just wanted to pass this along, I've used the treatment on other parts of the system, connectors and power cords but this has to be its best application ( TUBES ) for me at least.
128x128lesvan

Showing 3 responses by rodman99999

4est- I personally prefer the Caig products for cleaning accessable contact points of all kinds, after having tried a plethora over the years. As far as experience; I was building and experimenting with electronics as a hobby, from the age of 13(1961), degreed at Case Institute, and finally got into the vocation in 1975(TV/audio/pro reinforcment/instrument/speaker system- repair & modding). Opened my High End Audio shoppe in Florida, in 1978. Lots of experience with, and exposure to, tubes(etc). I've heard a few stories myself, but am a firm believer in verifying things, before writing them off(knowing how much abilities vary among our species). Happy listening!
Mr C: NO- If applied AS DIRECTED(VERY SPARINGLY), these products are COMPLETELY SAFE on tubes and sockets(OR- anywhere else). The problems stem from those that are too inept, or with too little attention to detail, to apply the substance without causing shorts between tube pins or socket connections(it's good for a person to know their own limitations). I've personally been using this sort of product, even on connectors smaller and closer together than miniature tube pins, for years, without incident. After application to tube pins, I make certain there is no excess between pins by wiping the base(between them) with Q-Tip. It's unnecessary(with ANY of these products) to ACTUALLY get connections WET, but some can't seem to help themselves. The rule=ATTENTION TO DETAIL!
4est- Regardless of how long your tube dealer has been around(I've been in the electronics business,in one capacity or another, since 1975- SORRY about your erroneous assumption), the product in question hasn't been around NEARLY that long. NO, NOT 4-500 Volts. The connectors I was referring to are IC pins/sockets and data type ribbon connections. ie: My TacT RCS 2.2aaa is FULL of them, and they've all been treated(5.10v, btw). These types of connections also occur in electronic musical instruments, and automotive/motorcyle components, the function of which I have also found to benefit from these products. REMOVAL? There are NUMEROUS sprays that can be used to completely remove these conductive, silver bearing pastes and which leave NO RESIDUE, AT ALL(ie: http://www.aerochemisb-cheongfy.com/2010/06/loctite-contact-parts-cleaner-25791.html)! I've been cleaning/flushing crap(including the conductive varieties) out of electronic gear(of ALL types) for almost four decades, without incident. AGAIN, the rule: ATTENTION TO DETAIL! If you are afraid- DON'T use the stuff(simple)! I was answering the thread originator's question, based on experience with my own, and numerous others', equipment. What's the ratio of those that have used these products and botched it, to those that have used them successfully? You tell me! But- I'm certain those that have failed, have made the MOST NOISE!