TV ROOM

Hi guys, I've been on a few forums looking for some advice on soundproofing a TV room. I have a semi detached house in North London and in the back have a room that we want to make into an audio room, with large TV and music system. This room is attached to  neighbour's wall and as we want to have it quite loud need some advice on soundproofing the wall and maybe the ceiling ? The wall is double brick and the back room is an extension so flat roof but we can get into the space if needed. Has anyone any advice on what can be put on the wall and maybe ceiling area.We can also lose around 10cm into the room. Many thanks in advance M
bri2on
Hello,

The double brick wall should be fine (well damped) by itself.
Zero Transmission. 
Based on personal experience with concrete foundation wall.
Air space between walls helps. 
Acoustic Mass Panels (even drywall) could be added to a brick surface.
Typical Double Wall Construction with an air gap offset studs and insulation.  Reduces interior area.
The side walls and ceiling will likely be less well suited to contain sound.
The size of the room and shape effect listening levels.
Perpendicular walls and parallel ceiling are the worse conditions.
A large Widescreen TV will reflect energy.
Damping and Placement will help.
Consider an acoustic / suspended ceiling if possible.
Suspended Diffusion Panels for example. 

yes, brick wall is good to block sound from going past it.  However, it is a highly reflective surface, so you definitely want to add an insulation layer and drywall over it.

How high does the brick wall go? Brick wall is a definite block, but sound will also go through the ceiling layer and over into the neighbors rooms.  Wood is not a really good blocker because it will resonate and allow transference of bass/midbass vibrations.  Thick insulation in the ceiling can help, but it's not a 100% blocker.

My HT room is on bottom floor on left side of house.  My master bedroom is on right side of the house on 2nd floor and 2 rooms over, but I still will get bass/midbass beats in my bedroom.

Get this book.  It's the best resource for not only keeping sound from getting out of a room, but also for optimizing the sound in it.  Given your constraints it sounds like resilient channels in your ceilings and walls may be your best option.  Any half competent contractor or even a handy layman can follow his simple instructions.  In any event, you'll learn a lot about what and what not to do to create a good sounding room.  I found it very approachable and educational.  Best of luck. 

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Home-Theater-Design-Construction/dp/B0041SUL2E