Turntables New vs Used

Thought I would post this as possible food for thought. Have been in this hobby since 1957 and have owned a great many tables both new and used. My first audiophile table was a Dual 1019 and it has evolved from there.

I deal a lot in turntables both new and used, sort of a hobby business. With that in mind in recent years there has been several new tables to hit the market such as those from Music Hall,Project, and so on. Not all but most of the tables in the sub $1,000.00 range are just horrid to say the least. For what one pays in this category,one can find true stellar turntables in the used market.

Used tables from Sota,VPI and Rega will clearly outperform anything from Music Hall, Project and others.

This is not meant to disparage Music Hall or Project or others of the same category. But when one truly looks into what is available in the used market,it becomes readily apparent that the higher end used tables will sonically be superior to the new offerings.

I know for the last few months have had several of the Music Hall and Project tables as well as others come and go through the door.

To be candid there is no black art or voodoo science in turntable design. Physics and Geometry are basic law and are absolute with debate not being possible.

But many of these new tables have seem to have forgotton these basic laws and some of the new tables are pure dreck and I am being kind there.

Turntables from VPI,Sota,Rega,Nottingham,Bluenote,Clearaudio,JA Michell,and Simon Yorke offer tables that firmly place them among the best in the world,with sound engineering principles.

Plus the upgrade path is clearly there for future sonic improvements as materials and science come about.

In addition the price one will pay for one of the used tables make these some of the best bargains for today and tomorrow. However with all things used do make sure of whom you get it from and that you are getting what you pay for.

Don't overlook many of the excellent direct drive used tables from Denon,Kenwood,Yamaha,Technics and others. But do concentrate on thier upper end models forgoing the lower model line up.

All in all the current used market represents far greater value than most of the mass produced new tables.

For instance a Rega P3 is in my opinion is vastly superior to a Music Hall MMF 7 and at less cost, new price to new price. I know I have had both here in recent months. Used the Rega P 3 is a hands down winner in this category.

Both VPI and Sota are easily accessed via phone or e Mail and are most helpful in their product line.

The choice is yours and it is your money.
ferrari
Informative observation.. I have been a Rega fan since 1986 when I bought my first P-3 (Now have P-9). I remember walking into a shop and hearing a comparison between a very expensive Denon direct drive and a P-3. Since I owned a Denon d-d at the time (1985)I was very skeptical there would be any difference in sound.. the difference was night and day.. hello Rega!
I'll probably pickup a used TT before the year's end and your post will definately help. I noticed that you didn't mention the Linn line. Was this ommision on purpose?
how would you rate older Linn and high end B&O turntables with the current new under $1000 group?
I have owned a Linn table back in the late 70s and found it to be very good, although the suspension is far to compliant for my tastes as well as was most of the Thorens at the time. Overall the Linn product has not evolved much,but remains good value in the used market. But one has to be careful with Linn as they are delicate,and I have found them to be maintenance hogs. But nonetheless they do have very good sonics when paired with the right phono cartridge.

As far as B&O goes I am not a fan of B&O aside from the glitz and glamour cosmetics their is little to endure. B&0 tables means your stuck with using B&O phono cartridges only. B&O no longer makes these cartridges,but a private company has sprung up that makes B&O phono cartridges. Once one sees the inside of one of these tables and the parts quality there it is disheartening to say the least.Plus at this point in time parts for these tables are drying up quickly as B&O has withdrawn their service network and dealers. All B&O is now an in house affair with company based stores. And no one in these stores have a clue as to analog needs. My last experience with a B&O was the Beogram RX and that was one of the poorest excuses for a turntable I have seen, except for some of the B.I.C. tables of the late 70s.

I know their are some loyal B&O users out there and will probably be gored on this. If it works for you then, fine,but much better to be had and for gods sake don't spend more that $150.00 on one and when it breaks, as it will, just toss it,not worth the greif and aggravation of servicing.