Turntables and Trusting Online Reviews

All,

I’m getting ready to upgrade my turntable to something in the $2500 price range including things like the VPI Prime Scout.

So naturally I find myself hunting for reviews on the various turntables in that range and came across one by Paul Rigby. Now all the media captured in the review includes a Ortofon 2M Red which even I’d consider low for this level of turntable but it was the only cart that he didn’t comment on.

Asking him in the comments about that cart (curious to see how much difference between something that low level and the higher ones that he did demo) he admitted that the media wasn’t even his, that he found the pictures and used them for his review.

So now I find myself asking the question, if you aren’t producing your own media, are you even reviewing the equipment?

Is this common place? Are there reviewers who are more trustworthy than others?

Or it really does come down to audition with your own ears because not only can you not know what another prefers, they may or may not be honest in their own right?

Help me out here?
michaelr23
The only reviewer I ever trusted was Harry Pearson RIP. His reviews were always artfully written and cogent. Johnathan Valin is okay otherwise forget it. It gets more ridiculous by the minute. millercarbn is correct in that sometimes if you look at a series of reviews on a piece you can get a good idea on what you are getting. The Parasound JC1 was a good example. Mostly you are on your own. You just have to know what you like particularly when it comes to turntables. I like belt drive suspended turntables with either vacuum or mechanical hold down like SOTA, SME and Basis. I don't bother with anything else. I do not like unipivot arms. Too many degrees of freedom. In my view it is a cheap easy way of making an arm. Don't have to worry about expensive bearings, tolerances and preload. I know this for myself because I have owned 9 turntables and God knows how many arms and cartridges. Experience. Very expensive experience. My favorite stupid purchase was the Transcritors Vestigial Tonearm. Talking about warp wow.
It would be nice if you could just land on the right product. The reviews are illegible. You go to a store and they are going to try and sell you what they have then bad mouth everyone else equipment. So in essence we are all on our own. If you know what you like stick with it.
But how to figure out what you like? The variables seem almost endless—or at least very difficult to account for. I’ve been putting in a concerted effort to crack this nut. I think I’m getting closer, but it feels like I’m going to have to roll the dice.

The absense of dealers is certainly a factor, but I’ve made two recent treks to very reputable dealers far from my hometown to listen to decks. I’ve been told that the table, arm, and cartridge are a system, greater than the sum of the parts. Yet, when I do comparatively listening all the variables change. Yesterday, I listened to two rooms at the dealer. Each room had two turntables hooked up to the same electronics and speakers. That’s a start, but far from allowing me to isolate the contributions of the table from the arm from the cartridge.

At AXPONA this year, I tried to listen to as many analog setups as I could. Trying to broadly educate my ear on the range of sound. I really liked a room featuring the AMG Viella. It had two arms and the person running the room played me the same track to compare the two arms and cartridges. This at least allowed me to hear a huge difference between the two.

I’GE heard great things about Avid still never heard one. Listened to the Luxman 171a at the show in Chicago but really didn’t care for the speakers.

I can anticipate the comments saying that you have to demo at home in your room and your equipment. But that ain’t happening with turntables, at least where I live. I guess it’s like expensive wine you just have to shell out and pop the cork. You don’t know until you dive in. I’ve wanted to find a value “giant killer.” It would suit me fine not to overspend. Vintage is enticing but I don’t know what to look for and I’m not a tinkerer. The value decks I’ve heard such as the MoFi have underwhelmed.
Not sure about you guys, but if you read old Martin Colloms reviews - he did not pull punches although he has a Linn champion. If you speak to reviewers at shows you actually get the best/most honest info. Alvin Gold wasn't too bad back in the day, in addition to that there are others that have their moments ie: Roy Gregory, and Jason Kennedy. I chime in with what Syntax said that nobody writes bad reviews - that said I spoke to Simon Pope and he said that:
1. Really rubbish components are not made anymore;
2. If something is to be a shocker the manufacturer is told - they can get item pulled
3. manufacturers often ask for reviews and pay for them

In respect of turntables I spoke to the guy at Expert Stylus in the uk and he said that once you get to a certain level it's all about the cartridge/arm combo.

Jcarr from Lyra pops up here and there - he's pretty knowledgable and honest. 

Surprisingly enough some manufacturers and shops can be very honest - especially the ones who are honest and confident enough to admit that an items sold by a competitor is as good or superior.
The more you describe what you want/dont want/aren't finding the more specific others can be in helping you triangulate.

Also you may gravitate to a certain product or topology that can influence the rest or the system choices to a far narrower group.

*if* you want to consider only new table/tonearms at $2500 or so, the list of real contenders is pretty small and the task more objective.

*if* the budget was $6000 table/arm the list is larger and the realm of subjective greater.