Turntables

Hey all! I've been circling a Rega P10 turntable, which is their latest iteration. It has gotten great reviews by Rega afficionados, but not much notice from the TT community at large, that I can find. It's a deviation from the conventional thinking that mass=stability, and quiet. It is very lightweight, but stiff. I like unconventional, and am willing to take a leap, though. Question is, of course, has anyone had any experience with these TT's and what thoughts do you have? (Michael Fremer at Analog Planet did a 5 part video of the Rega factory with Roy Gandy a couple of years ago and I have to say I was really impressed by his devotion to his art and his conviction about the direction Rega has taken with its TT's.)

128x128morsegist

Showing 2 responses by cd318

I've not heard the 10, only the 8.

It was easily amongst the best turntables I have heard.

By that I mean to say that if someone had told me that I was listening to a reel to reel tape deck I would not have been surprised.

Virtually no surface noise, stable image, rock solid timing, and a feeling of assurance rare in turntable replay.

Perhaps, and it's only perhaps, there could have been even more bandwidth and a deeper bass.

The only other area I've heard anything significantly better was in image size and depth, but that system featured entirely different amps, speakers and room, so who knows?

Anyway, it completely transformed my opinions of the Rega P8. 

Perhaps, sometimes less is more?

@secretguy 

On the list of things that ACTUALLY affect sound, the turntable is right down there with water pressure in your shower.

That's too clever for me, I completely missed the irony.

You were being ironic, weren't you?