turntables

I have a pioneer pl-51 direct drive tuntable I bought back in the early 70's. last time I used it was around 1989. it doesn't have a needle because my grandkids broke it. is it worth buying a needle to use it again?
128x128g_nakamoto
I have to ask ... what are the chances that a TT that is 40 + years old and that has not been played in the last 28 years ... is just going to need a new needle to get it going?  You can give it a shot, you may get lucky.  

If you plan to get back into vinyl (which I did), there are some new TTs that are worth trying.  If you have a qualified technician in your area, I may go for $200 or so to go over the Pioneer.  I don't think I would go much higher, I would go new instead.

Rich 

Sure why not give it a shot. You don't have to buy an expensive stylus. But you do have to mount it correctly. 
I would probably take it in for a tonearm and motor lube, but yes!

Pioneer did make some very good turntables back in the day. If memory serves me right, yours is a good one and pretty too!

You've got a nice vintage system and the Pioneer would fit right in. Let's us know how it worked out. 

Norman
when i bought this turntable it was the next one to the top of the line at that time. i do turn it on every now and then,