Turntable - Where do I start ?

I am wanting to get into playing vinyl from time to time and have no idea where to start. I have not had a turntable for the last 20 plus years and many things have changed.
My System: Mcintosh MC 352 amp McIntosh C2200 & Mcintosh 205 CD changer. Speakers: B&W 805 Signatures.
If I had to put a "STARTING" budget on this could I get into something half way decent for $2000.00 to $3000.00 (or less)would be nice.
Open for "ALL" the help I can get.
Thanks,
Dave
valleyplastic
Many have different opinions about turntables but where many agree is arm and cartridge.

Valleyplastic, The Origin live silver arm with TWL, Tom’s HI FI mod and a shelter 501 cartridge is state of the art, at its price point. You will have to spend thousands of $$$$$$ to beat it's stellar performance. I wonder how much better it could possibly be? That's why I recommend them.
Check out this thread,

Strange Tonearm Tweak. Long

Good luck and I know you will enjoy the sound of your new source what ever you choose.
Cheers Ron
Valleyplastic I have a mc 352/c42 I had a rega p-25 with a h/o benz ace 2.5MV since the c42 only has a moving magnet phono section. I did read the reveiw on the c2200 in Steriophile and it did and continues to get great reveiws and I know it has a moving coil phono sectio in it. The reveiw from Sam Telling on the c2200`s phono section is ok not great just ok, possably like my c42.
I purchased a BAT vkp-5 and was floored what a huge differance it made, then I purchased a used TNT JR w/ SME309/Benz RUBY H. and couldn`t be happier.Were I`m going with this is with your dollar allotment, do purchase the TT you are going to keep and not the one you can afford or you may go down the same road I and many have done (upgrade). Also do consider a external phono stage that may come into play when you purchase your cartridge (gain issue).The guys have allready gave you some excellent TT idea`s. I will say if I purchase I would take a look at the Teres line that cocabola plinth intrigue`s me, but as my wife knows me I would probably go for a Simon Yorke but thats another story. David
I strongly recommend Bluenote turntables and tonearms. I used to own an Avid Acutus/SME IV (a very expensive setup) but, to my ears, even the entry-level Bluenote gear is FAR more musical, if not as sonically 'impressive' on first hearing.
I took a look at those Bluenote TTs. They seem to me definitely better than the Regas & Music Halls--bet they sound cleaner and way more musically involving. Looks like they work on rigidity and that ceramic impregnated belt sounds interesting. Still not enough beef in the suspension and speed/ rotational stability departments. Using quartz locked direct drive motors is definitely a plus to get speed right. The Italian design is definitely sleek, though.
Hi:

I recently upgraded my ProJect turntable to a Rega P3 with the Elys cartridge for under a thousand dollars. I decided on Rega after looking at all the tweeky tables with the Rega 300 arm. I figured that there had to be something if all these other manufactures were using the arm. Also, I went with the matching Rega cartridge for the same reason, it was designed by the people who designed the arm, who designed the table, etc. If your budget lets you higher, there are TONS of models out there, but would consider the model Rega P25 and then go witht he Exact cartridge. That should bring you in at about $2,000. The remaining money could be used for a good phono section, a record cleaning machine, etc. I have been enjoying my building record collection ever since. Good luck and happy listening!