Turntable Upgrade Suggestions

I am new to TT's and have started with a VPI Scout. Considering upgrading however I want to ensure the upgrade is worthy...considering the VPI Classic 3 - need some ideas - best TT upto $6k. Many thanks...
firstcut

Showing 2 responses by swanny76109

I second Mordante's response above. I have the Classic 1 (which I like very much) and was running a PS Audio GCPH, similar in quality and price point to your Jasmine, I think. I thought the phono pre was holding me back and it seemed pretty clear that it was the weak link in my system. I considered trying the Jasmine but it seemed a sideways step at best, and I would lose the balanced connection to the pre. I didn't want to get caught in a circle of upgrades on a 500.00 item. If I was to make a move, it had to be significant enough to make a real difference. Turns out, my hunch was correct. I upgraded significantly to the Pass XP15 because I love the Pass sound and have an XP10 preamp. I had worked with Mark at Reno Hi Fi before and he offered a great deal with his 10 day test. Synergy seemed to be possible, on paper at least, with my existing analog setup and my pre. I needed the high gain because I run a Dyna XX2 mk2. I also wanted true balanced outputs. The XP15, simply put, does everything I want and then some. Right out of the box, after an hour of listening after I set it up, I wrote Mark an email saying it was a keeper. Outstanding low end control and response, a full rich 3D enveloping soundstage, and supremely musical and enjoyable. It sounds great no matter what I throw at it--rock, jazz, folk, bluegrass, anything. Macro and microdynamics to die for. I can hear details I never heard before, along with the natural characteristics of the recording space for each recording. I run the highest gain setting (76 db)loaded at 100 ohm, and the low gain (4 db) on my pre. I realize that this was a significant upgrade that may be out of your budget, but I will say that paying attention to the quality of the components at the heart of the system that handle the lowest level signals is very important. You can tweak cables, power cords, cartridges,even the entire front end, but until the heart is right, nothing else will make it so. I now have a phono pre that should be able to grow with me no matter where I go in the future with turntable, cartridge, arm, etc. There are other good contenders in the 2K-3K range, but that seems to be a sweet spot right now for getting an analog system to a significant next level of performance. I would think that upgrading to a 5K turntable will result in good things, but you may want to spend half that amount first on a good phono pre and then see where you need to go from there. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
@Redglobe: No never did hear the Jasmine. As I said in my post, I considered the Jasmine but ruled it out because it lacked balanced outputs and I did not want to get involved in upgrading a 500 item to get the performance upgrade I was after. Again, sure, I could have ordered it from China and tried it out but it seemed a sideways move at best compared to where I was starting from--the GCPH is no slouch. One other important consideration in my decision: I also want to buy American whenever I can and like supporting the guys in Forest Hill, CA so they can keep working their magic. I do agree with you that Firstcut should consider trying the cap upgrade you mention, before anything else, as that could be a very economical upgrade and a path of least resistance.