Turntable recommendations around $2500

Hi everyone,

Yes, another "what do you recommend" thread.  I'll provide a few specifics to help narrow down the field.  First of all, I don't live near any audio dealers, so listening to products isn't an option.  I want to purchase through one of the various online audio dealers who offers a 30-day (or more) return policy - Audio Advisor, Music Direct, Needle Doctor, etc.  

My general parameters are:
  • approx. $2000-2500 for table only (less is better, of course, but not at the expense of sound quality) 
  • RCA or DIN output connection (no integral phono cables, which rules out Rega and Clearaudio)  experiment with aftermarket cables).
  • No unipivot tonearm (sorry, VPI)

So, with all that in mind, I'm looking at the following that meet my criteria:

• Pro-Ject RPM 9 Carbon
  • Musical Hall MMF 9.3
  • Mobile Fidelity Ultradeck
  • EAT C-Major
  • ELAC Miracord 90
  • SOTA Satellite II (w/202 arm)

For what it's worth, I prefer a table that leans slightly toward the warmer side of neutral.  Would love to hear opinions from those who are using one of these tables or who have heard them and decided not to purchase. And, of course, other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!
Scott

smrex13

Showing 4 responses by trelja

@spenceroo thank you for sharing your experience.

I remember you mentioning this a couple of months ago.  I recently sold my VPI Classic rig, and have considered what comes next.  Though the VPI line has proven successful beyond anyone's belief, and I have spent time with a lot of their products over the past 20 years, the sound doesn't line up with my tastes.  Based on your impressions, I've given substantial thought to the Mobile Fidelity
@erndog thank you for weighing in.

The VPI (HW19, HRX, Scout et all, Classic, Prime, a couple of those budget tables the company has wisely introduced over the past several years, and the Shinola) rigs that I and friends have had sound quite voluptuous and rich. The bass is full and generous, and transients are a bit blunted. In the shortest description possible, it’s soft rather than hard, warm rather than neutral and certainly not cold. It’s difficult to find oneself put off because the sound comes across as a bit too immediate or sharp, or even bright or shrill. Portraying the woody tone of an upright bass can sound especially good, caputuring the blat of brass played in a raucous fashion, not so much.  There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it’s the antithesis of the thin CD sound I also have a hard time living with. Many run to analog for that very reason, and a large group obviously finds happiness in the VPI products. But it’s just not the right sound for me. Of course, a cartridge and setup, cabling, and the rest of the system have a big say in the matter
@erndog thank you, as well.

Like you, I also run an all tube system, and love a little richness, warmth, and excellent bass. Yes, you should listen to a few different turntables and cartridges to find where your sweet spot lies. VPI makes excellent tables, and you should give them a try. They might meet your preferences. Typically, people tend to like them with more forward cartridges like Dynavectors, Lyras, Transfigurations, and a few of the Ortofons. I ran a Dynavector 20XL with my Classic. Other turntables to give a listen to are the Rega line, maybe the P6 or even P8 and of course, the Technics SL1200GR. Again, based on the comments I’ve heard from folks like speceroo, I’m giving a lot of thought to the new Mobile Fidelity table lineup