Turntable purchase advice sought

Hey everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice on a possible turntable purchase. There is a Technics 1200 Mark II with many Dave Cawley modifications listed on the other site. I have used a VPI hw19 Mark 4 and a Rega P3 before and I'm now running an NAD c558 but I'm looking for something with a bit more bite to it. My cartridges go between a Hana ML MC and a Clearaudio Maestro V2 Ebony MM. 

I don't mind fussing with turntable setup and in fact love aligning cartridges and setting VTA and all that, but I've heard lots of good news about how durable the Technics is. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And thank you.

128x128simao

Seems a heck of a bargain for a TT and many improvements/parts

Ruby bearing??? Anyone know about that????

Reviews of that???

You certainly could ask Kevin, Technics Guru

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm

I think the turntable you are looking at is definitely worth consideration; however I wonder whether the value of all the additional mods is worth the additional price (above market) that you would be paying for this particular Technics SL 1200. Alternatively, you could source another SL1200 that is in the $300-$500 range and then spend the saved money on an upgraded arm (maybe something by SME). Whether that would provide better sound for your $ vs standard SL 1200 arm and the mods you listed, I don’t know… but I think it is worth considering.

@elliottbnewcombjr Gem Stones used as a Ball is a common replacement over a Steel Ball, has approx’ 25 Years behind it as a Concept, it was one selected for Idler Drives during the 90’s.

This was a ’biggy’ from about 2010 onwards when Lenco Idler Drives become a DIY Service Trend. The use of alternative materials, to be used as a Bearing Housing Ball was seen spoken about much more publicly since this period.

Gem Stones, as said are attractive, but also are Fragile and a Platter Spindle that can have a free movement vertically can take a Gem Stone out if a impact occurs. The same is for a Gem Thrust Pad. The idea of a Low Coefficient of Friction at the Spindle Base / Thrust Pad Interface from the use of a Gem is attractive, but there is risks present, that can easily be avoided, by selecting an alternative material.

I would have one myself, but the idea of giving the inherent risks over to another who might not fully understand the overall risk would not settle with myself. 

pindac

thanks for the explanation. the vertical bearing and thrust plate in my prior Thorens TD126 wade me ask.